• No registration papers of our house

Me and my family are staying in a house allotted to us by gov of India after 
Partition and we have been staying there for three generations now. There were no previous owners of the house. But in past couple of months it came to our notice that we either don’t have registration papers of the property or those papers have been misplaced somewhere. So how could we register the property in our name
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers

Please note if you have allotment letter issued by government of India file a suit for declaration that you people are absolute owner and possession of property.

Thereafter also seek to direct the authority to issue khata and other documents in your name. If you have paid tax receipt to government and electricity bill stands in your family name use it as evidence to show you are in possession of property.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There must be allotment letter issued by govt for the said house

2) check the said papers

3) it would confer title to said house

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87895 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you can file a civil suit for declaration in court.. The court shall provide a decree in your favour and it will be a authenticative proof of your ownership

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

The declaration suit has to be filed in the civil court ahmedabad to declare that you are sole owner of the property.

The decree of the suit said be valid proof for your ownership.

The allotment letter issued by government and light and water bills along with property tax receipt if any has to be kept with the suit.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You are now the owner by means of adverse possession.

File a declaratory suit and thereafter get the land registered on your name.

Contact a local lawyer.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. First find out how did you acquire possession of the said property and from whom?

2. If Govt. had allotted the said property to you then was it newly constructed property?

3. Conduct search from the Registry office to ascertain what document has been recorded with the Registrar stating the name of the title holder of the said property.

4. You can also apply for the certified copy of the said title deed which will solve your problem.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26602 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. it is not clear whether you have done mutation of the property or not.

2. Most likely after so many years of residing therein mutation must have been done.

3. The property must have been further given by the Government to your forefather as settlor from other part of the country on its partition.

4. You can h=get in touch with he department which was =entrusted with giving grant of this property to obtain relevant papers in connection with this property.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


You may apply for certified copy of the documents from registrar's office.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0


There must be an allotment letter , it confirm the ownership .

However you can file a suit for declaration.

Hope this helps.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2941 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

As per your post you are from Gujarat. If the house was allotted to your family by Govt. of India after partition and you have been staying there for three generations now, then you can at first check the land records details. For that you need to :

1. Visit the website https://anyror.gujarat.gov.in/ and Click on View Land Record.

2. You will be redirected to page for knowing land records.

3. Submit details about the district, taluka, village and survey number.

4. Enter verification code (captcha) and click on Get Detail button.

5. Land records will be displayed.

If the details mention that the house belongs to you then you can seek help from a local lawyer to help you in the process of registration or if you had any documents but now you cannot find them then if you have the details, if any, then you can apply for getting certified copies.

Moumita Mitra
Advocate, Kolkata
366 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

Please check the ownership by the tehsil from the revenue office if you are paying Municipal taxes on the property you may have reciepts from municipality.

Hope you are living in nazul land so you don't have any documents.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

First of all trace out the original parent deed of the property.

If you dont find it then get an encumbrance certificate for the property from the registrar's office.

You can get the certificate for well over 50 years and find out on what basis the property was bought and on whose name it stands now.

After that consult a local advocate and then on his/her advise you may proceed for family arrangement or partition by which the individual can get a registered document on his/her name to the share of property allotted as his/her share.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78050 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can't register the same without seller. You can get the Registered copy from office of sub registrar if the same his Registered.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27224 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer