• Father mentally torturing daughter and forcing to marry

I am posting this on behalf of a friend.

She is been under constant and excessive supervision by her father having lost her mother at a very early age. Over the years the supervision has gone to unbearable levels so much so that she is not allowed to talk to anyone outside family and relatives that too under constant monitoring.

She is also not allowed to have any friends or to go out and socialise like a normal person. She was being forced to give her her hobbies of learning and teaching dance as well as to learn advanced meditation.

So practically she is under house arrest or goes only to family fucntions etc with father. But now it has gotten too silly where she is not even allowed to access the internet or have a mobile phone.

Now she is forcibly engaged to marry to someone she doesnt like.

Her father is critically ill so that is the only reason she was bearing all this. What is the best course of action to get her out of this hell with minimum damage. She is willing to leave her father but still worried about his health.
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers

Hi, she can register a complaint at local police station if she is being forced into marriage agianst her will...A action has to be initiated by her in order to come out of the situation

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

The only option left to her is to write a letter to state commission for women and asking them to help against getting forcefully married without her consent in this way she may not harm her father since as you mentioned he's ill, if she lodges police complaint things may complicate for her father and also his health. So best option is to approach state commission for women either her self or you on her behalf.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1)since father is critically ill it is better that girl ddoes not file any police complaint against her father

2) let father recover from his illness then express inability to marry the boy her father has selected

3) complain to national commission of women if she is forced to marry against her wishes

4) she can also call police helpline for women

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87895 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If she leave her father , where will she live and how will she manage her expanses.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0


I would like to advise you to involve her relatives here .Tell her to speak with her nearest female relatives and ask to help her in sorting out the issue.

She should get in touch with the bridegroom and tell him that she is not interested .

If situation goes out of control only then contact local lawyer to proceed further .

Hope this helps.

Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2941 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1) One should understand her father's condition as well. He is taking extra precautions of her due to her mother loss in the life and besides this father had given sacrifice his life being not remarrying again for his daughter future.

2) Now why he is so possessive related to her, because he do care for her and her life should be better and safety. As she don't have mother. He is father he LOVES YOU so much from his bottom of the heart, he himself must not loving to self that much he loves you. Do take care of your father. He is the best protector in her life.

3) If you want to live free life. That also I understand if her mother were alived than she must have taken care of her and her father too. Her father will not act like mother, so do one thing she must have family relatives (female) of her father's age or older than him. Please bring them for talk and ask them to act like counselor. So they can wash his mind and she can marry a groom as she likes keeping in mind that is her father's wish.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

A Habeus Corpus writ petition can be filed by you on her behalf against the father to keep her other than her wish.

Please make sure she must be adult to appear in court and speak out her wish if she want to leave her home.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

In case she's in a house arrest kind of a situation, she must take Police's assistance so that she may be rescued.

There are certain conditions for a valid marriage, which include free consent of the parties to marriage.

She cannot be forced into a marriage.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir I think the girl should take stand in family on then because going legally can harm her relationship with father in this condition.

Though legal.option available.to her is she can file a complaint regarding the family forcing for marriage and intimidation is there from her family side.

She can approach the national.and state commission of women to protect herself from this false marriage and assistance commission can summon her father and they can mediate between them.

Sir minimum damage option is not available in relations when you take such a action.agaisnt father the best option is to.complaint in women cell of police station so that SHO there can mediate between them or a restriction order from.court can also do but that will.strecth the issue.

Its better to settle in family though I have told you the best option

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This has no legal solution.

She can decide about fleeing her house if there is a necessity.

She can put up in the same house and stand up to confront her father's arrogance.

This is nothing but sentimental or emotional black mail.

She can report the persisting threats to the jurisdictional police station and seek protection.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78050 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


This problem is less legal and more of social and emotions and the same can be sorted out with help of doctors and treatment of her father who seems to be suffering from insecurity syndrome.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

She can go for police help. If she can't you can file a Complaint to police in this regard. You can also approach HC through writ petition for the Same

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27224 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0


She can leave her father and there is no legal hassle in the same.

She may ask some person to take care of her father, and then come in contact with him later after the matter is solved.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer