• Change of name in ongoing diploma

I changed my Name in Gazette by 1999. I completed my HSC by 1993. Now I try to do my diploma direct campus from polytechnic College. They ask me to change my name in school certificates to issue /enroll my name using new name. So far my mark sheets issued during my diploma is in the old name.
Is there any way to update my name in the present study. Or is there any problem if I have my study completed in the old name? Please suggest me.
Asked 4 years ago in Constitutional Law

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers

1) On your educational certificate old name will appear. It won't be changed the same name will be continued.

2) You can change your new name in PAN, AADHAAR card, Driving Licence Passport etc.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12406 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) if you have changed your name in 1999 after completion of your HSC studies then there is no need for your school certificates to be changed

2) at time of completion of X std , Xii std you were known by your old name . school would not change the name in your school certificate after 20 years

3) on basis of gazette notification of 1999 diploma can be issued to you in your new name

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
88385 Answers
6227 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. After a certain point of time the name mentioned in the school certificate can not be changed.

2. Moreover no institution can ask for change of name in the school certificate if you subsequently changed your name.

3. The gazette notification is enough prof of your change of name and mismatch of name with old school certificate is no excuse for this college to refuse to issue certificate.

4. However if they still stick to their demand then filing of writ petition in high court remains your option.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There will be no problem if you have completed in old name in case they have asked you to change name in HSC then you need to serve notice to concerned authority to change name in marks card as per Gazette notification. They may ask you to get decree from court to change name. File a suit for declaration in court to change your name in all records as per Gazette. Please note each state has different rules so better to approach a local advocate in this regard.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no need to change the old name in old certificates. On basis of gazette notification of 1999 diploma can be issued to you in your new name. So you can use the new name. If the certificate is issued in old name can also use on the strength of Gazette notification

Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
4002 Answers
94 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Represent before them not to insist for updated educational certificates (reflecting your present name) to enroll you with your new name in this diploma course.

If despite your representation they do not enroll you in your new name, file a writ of mandamus against thm.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9441 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Hope you have executed an affidavit in the year 1999 before a 1st Class Judicial Magistrate affirming that you shall be known in your new name and also that your old name mentioned in your educational records are required to be changed and then notified the fact in govt. Gazette.

2. If you have done as stated above, then submit copy of the said affidavit before your Polytechnic College who will record your new name and will not ask for changing the name in your old mark sheet.

3. If you have not executed the above affidavit before the Magistrate, do it now to get the name change legally regularised.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26693 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- Changing your name in HSC is a long and tedious process . It can be possible by way of filing a Petition before the Court of your jurisdiction after summoning the Institution that had conducted HSC exam..

The second way is by publishing in Gazette.

Since,you have already changed your name in Gazette , the Polytechnic College should accept the same , if you have submitted the said Gazette copy with the college for the new name purposes.

Better you should submit all the documents , which you had prepared for publishing the new name in the Gazette. like Affidavit before the Magistrate and other identity documents which you have with new name.

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10055 Answers
122 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can get an affidavit done which will mention that two names same person and then publish that in the Indian Gazette.

Moumita Mitra
Advocate, Kolkata
366 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

It is not necessary to change the name in the previous educational certificates to pursue the current educational program.

You can give an affidavit that both the names are same and denote you, if the management is still reluctant to accept it, then you may approach court for declaring your name as per the gazette and direction to the authorities to accept your corrected name as proper name.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78546 Answers
1554 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The change in gazettee is enough you don't need to change it in person

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27587 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

There is no problem if you complete your studies with old name.

Changing name in diploma course will depend on the internal policy of the polytechnic.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17942 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You shall also contact the local sub-divisional magistrate regarding this. They will ask you to make an affidavit on 100 Rupee stamp paper stating so and person are same. You can issue an advertisement in the official gazette as well as the local newspaper stating that so and so is the same person. then while you submit your application with the relevant documents mention that advertisement and also affix the copy of the same.

You can also approach the authorities with the name change advertisement and ask them to issue fresh certificates with the new name. But I believe the previous way is much more easy. In either way if you wish you contact me through the website.

Richa Bharadwaja
Advocate, Delhi
25 Answers

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer