• Transfer of funds from account of a deceased to that of nominee

My wife expired a fortnight ago . She has a Bank Account wherein I am listed as Nominee . I have a Bank Account in the same Bank/Branch . What formalities are to be observed by me to have funds transferred from my wife's Account to my Account . Thanks
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

18 Answers

inform bank of your wife demise . enclose copy of death certificate

2)on being satisfied about death of account holder, valid nomination , identity of nominee bank would transfer funds to your account

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87973 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The Bank could either ask you to furnishing an indemnity bond, with two guarantors to withdraw balance from your deceased wife's account. Or it may ask you to furnish succession certificate from court.

Approach the Bank to seek more clarity.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The bank shall ask you to get Noc of all legal heir that is your children (if any) and the death certificate along with the application need to be presented before the bank.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Asset of wife will devolve in her legal heirs, children,husband.

Nomination vest to power to receive money on behalf of legal heirs in his hand and than distribute in legal heirs by equal proportion.

Well, on the basis of nomination, u can collect money from the account, close it n deposit in ur account.

And if bank is giving u authority to operate the account than online transfer.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Produce the death certificate to the bank and give a requisition to get it transferred to your account. In case of any body claiming the same, then the process is to obtain succession certificate through court.

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
2085 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear Sir

You have to produce Death Certificate of your wife. You have to fill up and sign prescribed forms of the bank. Usually amounts will be transferred to your account as you are nominee. Documents pertaining to your identity must be produced.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0


A succession/ legal heir certificate is to be obtained by you.

Also, you being a nominee you may give an application to the bank and see if the bank considers the same or not.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Being Nominee you are entitled for the said amount, you will have to fill in the forms as required by your bank. being a nominee it is your right to get it, though i would like to warn you here that if there are other legal heirs the even the other legal heirs will have share in it,though the amount will be given to you. the other legal heirs means your children will also have right in it.

Devendra Singh

Devendra Singh
Advocate, Mumbai
39 Answers

4.3 on 5.0

1. Since you are the Nominee of your wife's account, you are considered as the trustee of the amount kept by her in the said account top be disbursed amounts her legal heirs. if she has dies intestate.

2. You can write to the Branch Manager, asking him to transfer the amount left in your late wife's account to your account kept in the same Branch.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26614 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It is to be kept in mind that Trustees are not owners of the fund they have been trustee of.

2. The amount is to be distributed amongst all the legal heirs of the deceased account holder. either equally or as per her will, if any.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26614 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Death Certificate of your wife, marriage certificate and legal heir certificate with your identity proofs will be enough to produce to the bank and request the Manager to transfer the fund to your account.

Advocate, Bangalore
584 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1) If you are already listed as nominee than do not need any legal process. Bank can handover balance amount to you after submitting death certificate.

2) You have to apply in bank for transfer of funds from her (deceased) account to your account after submitting death certificate as you are nominee of her account holder.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Write a letter to the branch manager of the bank enclosing therewith a copy of death certificate of your wife and your id stating that you are the nominee of her account. Kindly transfer the proceed to your bank account. In case there is any further formality required to be fulfilled, kindly let me know.

Dalip Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
1040 Answers
36 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to approach to the bank with a copy of death certificate to claim the balance in the account if you are a single nominee in the account.

The bank after the due diligence will transfer the fund to your account.

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

In case of death of the depositor, the nominee is eligible to claim the amount held in the deposit account along with interest.

For getting the same , the nominee has to approach the bank officials, get claim application, fill up the application and submit the same along with copy of death certificate, his identify proof etc.,

The bank has the preference to pay to the depositor rather than the claims made by the legal heirs unless there is court injunction prohibiting the bank in settling the claims in favour of nominee.

Hence ,If your name is registered with the bank as a nominee of your deceased wife account , then you have legal right to transfer the amount from the deceased account to your account, specially you are having your account in the same bank and branch.

You should adopt the following ways to transfer the same:

1. Apply to the bank by a written request and must enclose details of the accounts of your deceased wife including the death certificate copy.

2.Submit your account details

2. On receipt of the claim from the nominee/you, the branch will verify the photocopy with the original Death Certificate, Nomination number as registered in CBS, Nomination register.

3.Further the bank will ask for two suitable witnesses or may ask an affidavit from you.If you are having two persons account in the same bank then bank will accept them as witness without any affidavit.

As you are in abroad , and unable to come to India for doing the same , then you should send your application with all details to the bank . Or you can apply to the bank with the help of your relative.

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
9916 Answers
121 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have to submit an application to the bank intimating the death of your wife.

Along with the claim form you may attach relevant documents to prove the nomination in your name

You may also request the bank to transfer this amount to your account directly.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78131 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Please contact the bank officials they may ask you to get an affidavit and an indemnity bond to be submitted just submit that and original document of bank account and your identity proof.

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can make an application alongwith death certificate of wife the bank will transfer the funds in your account.

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27289 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer