• General Power of Attorney is missing or lost

Dear Sir,
My father had bought a property (plot) in 2006. The vendor of the said property were GPOA holder (GPOA was made under both parents name by his son who was in abroad). Today my father wants to sell the property and he observes that the GPOA document is missing from among the property documents. If we try ask the vendor who sold the property to my father (GPOA holders) again if by chance the document with them, they also do not have it. How to go about now please advice?
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
for sale of property through GPA the document has to be registered . 

in your case was power of attorney registered? if so you can obtain certified copy of said document from sub registrar office
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46925 Answers
2776 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should carry out a search of the certified copy in the office of registrar. If the GPA has been registered then a certified copy thereof can be easily obtained from the office of registrar.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23180 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

in earlier transactions the GPA would not be normally registered but executed on a 200 rupees stamp paper, i am assuming the same has happened even in your case. 
If the property is already registered in your father's name, nothing to worry, your father can proceed to lodge a FIR on the missing GPA and thereafter take out a paper publication as a public notice and then inform the purchaser about the same. the same can be accepted in law.
if the GPA is registered then no worries, a certified copy of the same can be obtained from sub-registrar's office and thereafter the property can be sold.
Kiran N. Murthy
Advocate, Bangalore
1019 Answers
91 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, if it is lost file a police complaint for missing documents  and also public notice through paper publication.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

If it is a registered Power of Attorney, then you can obtain certified copies from the jurisdictional Sub-Registrar's Office.  If it is an unregistered POA  lodge a Police Complaint and also give wide publicity through Public Notice in leading newspapers.
Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
1655 Answers
109 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer