• Vehicle sold to an unknown person and not transferred on his name

My father sold my bike to a an unknown person via a mediator. This happened more than 10 years. The vehicle is still not transferred on his name. We tried to trace the mediator but we are not able to find him. Please suggest me on what I should be doing to avoid any future complaints on this bike.
Asked 5 years ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

14 Answers

you must address letter to RTo by regd post AD informing them of sale of your bike .

2) enclose copy of delivery note received by you and proof of payments received by you .

3) also send letter to local police station that purchaser has not transferred bike in his name yet and you apprehend bike may be used for terrorist activities .

4) you can also publish public notice in 2 local newspapers that the seller shall in no way whatsoever be responsible for any misdeeds,unlawful activities or any acts of omission or commission with the bike (state make, model,type of body,registration number, engine and chassis nos.)by the buyer or any other person who directly or indirectly uses the bike for such misdeeds,unlawful activities or any acts of omission or commission. The liability of such misdeeds,unlawful activities or any acts of omission or commission shall solely rest with the buyer of the bike ."

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89092 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

I wonder why and how are you keeping blind eye to this material fact.

After 10 years nothing more is to be done. Though you can inform the local police but i wonder if police after so many years would receive your complaint at all.

Since 10 years have passed you may heave a sigh of relief.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
409 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


It's been 10 years and if still no problem have been faced regarding that bike then there are very less chances that any future complaint have to be faced. But safe side is always better , so give a written statement as registered affidavit in the authorities stating that the following bike have been sold 10 years ago to someone and you donot remember the name and the said bike have not been transferred to the second owner. Also you can publish the facts in local newspapers.

But as per my thought you should not face any kind of issue related to that bike as 10 years have passed peacefully.

Thank You

Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
5365 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Respected sir ...

This problem can be solve but the way is illegal as you have made a mistake not to transfer the ownership of bike ... Just go to police station and lodge an FIR that your bike have been stolen from your possesn ...It will the work of police to find it out than you have to pay the another person for suoerdari of bike but benifit of that is owner will meet you and from now onwards and in future if there any crime happens you are not responsible for that ....I am telling again this way is wrong but this is only they way to find him ...


Dinesh Sharawat
Advocate, Delhi
1259 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Send a SMS at number [deleted]

Write in message box the registration number of vehicle as follows

Vahan DL.......

and send. After few second, you will get the information about the registration of your vehicle. If it is still in your name, visit to your registering authority and submit the sale documents with them so that if there is any complaint, notice be sent to him.

Dalip Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
1050 Answers
36 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You continue to be the owner of the vehicle as the transfer has not been made in favour of the buyer. It was incumbent on your part to send the intimation to the RTO with the delivery note made by the buyer.

2. If the vehicle is found involved in the commission of a crime then you will be liable for penal and civil consequences.

3. Send the intimation to the jurisdictional RTO under Section 50 of MV Act now.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File a police complaint and give an application to the concern RTO to change the owner ship of the vehicle which you have sold long back.

Advocate, Bangalore
584 Answers
4 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Hi, lodge a police complaint about the said incident and keep a copy with you , to avoid any future dispute

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4626 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear CLient,

U r also very late. File an application with Regional Transport Office for non transfer of name giving all details.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Approach the RTO Office and peruse the records to find out the exact position, as the name of the buyer has been registered in the records as against your name.

In case the same has not been done, by means of a letter apprise the officer of all of the relevant facts.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9441 Answers
251 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Give a publication in the newspaper to this effect.

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17943 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have signed the transfer order form and have the copy of the amount received for this transfer, you can inform the concerned RTO office about this sale details in writing.

The RTO will make a note of it so that any problem in this regard can be tackled accordingly on the basis of the communication you have made to the RTO.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79250 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Give a notice for general public in newspaper about your bike. Mentioned date of sale and name and address of buyer .

Rajesh Kumar
Advocate, Ludhiana
119 Answers
1 Consultation

4.3 on 5.0

Try to get in touch through mediator. Else inform registering authority.

Parkash Chand Bhardwaj
Advocate, Hamirpur
120 Answers

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer