• Name difference in all identity documents vs marriage certificate

My name is 'Rooh Rana' but I got named as 'Rooh Rana Banerjee' in the marriage certificate to add 
husband's surname 'Banerjee'. 

As understood, this further requires name change in all documents such as 
Driving License
Employee Records
Provident Fund
Banking services

In order to get saved from this humongous task, I enquired regarding updating the marriage certificate to change my name back to 'Rooh Rana'. However, we got informed by the lawyers at 
Deradun, Uttarakhand (place of registry of marriage) that there is no way to update a marriage certificate, and that it's final.

This turns me around to look for other fullproof alternative documentation/way that can save me 
from getting all my other documents changed which is a really complicated procedure.

I wish to find out how I can continue to keep my name as 'Rooh Rana' in all documents please.
Asked 6 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

Hi, there is no need to alter every document , according to marriage certificate .. Then national identity is Adhar card and all the documents are according to it ..

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4630 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can continue to use your maiden name in your PANCard , driving licence , bank accounts etc

2) not necessary to change your name after marriage and add your husband name

3) the marriage certificate merely reflects you married Me Banerjee

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
94965 Answers
7576 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Changing name or surname in the marriage certificate along with the other documents such as Passport, Driving license etc. Is not impossible, there is a way to change name by publication in the national news paper and then you have to file an Affidavit in each and every concerned authority along with the news paper.

Thanks and Regards

Amit kumar


Amit Kumar
Advocate, Delhi
4 Answers

4.0 on 5.0

Dear reader, the procedure is not complex its quiet simple as u hav to make a declaration of name change through affidavit and then maje it published in any of the local newspaper than alll yoyr documents will not be any issue of name change forever. For further assistance u may contact me on my number

Charu Agrawal
Advocate, Ghaziabad
7 Answers
2 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

You can continue using your original name, Rooh Rana.

At anytime when complication arises due to discrepancy of your name in marriage certificate, vis a vis, the other identification proofs, you can execute an affidavit furnishing that your correct name is Rooh Rana.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, Lucknow
9625 Answers
303 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The same is a tedious process but can be done easily, there has to be a notification and publication in newspaper to this effect that you are changing your name from Rooh Rana Banerjee to Rooh Rana for all future purpose and on the basis of the same, you may get the name changed in all your documents.

Also it is not like that the name in marriage certificate can not be changed, take a second opinion on this from another local lawyer. In my advise the name can be changed.

Please correct me if there is any factual inconsistency in the answer and let me know if I can be of further help.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
18079 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If the marriage certificate alone is having a different name and you want to retain the original name in all other documents, you may prepare an affidavit stating that both the names are one and the same and pertaining to you, get this affidavit notarised.

this will be sufficient to take care of all other issues.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85166 Answers
2222 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer