• Quarrelsome and nagging wife

Hello Sir,

I have been married since last 11 years and having 2 kids (10 yrs and 6 yrs).

My wife is not cooperating with my family and always creating issues with my parents and even with others. she is constantly creating problems for me and even called police twice. 
She does not want me to talk with my parents. Since I a only son of my parents, i cannot do this.
She does not serve food to my parents.
She does not take care of them. Even my father gone through a surgery and she did not take care of him.
Very stubborn and dominating.
Always taking favour of her parental family and does not like any one from my family.
Constantly harassing me and even called police twice.

I am in deep depression and cannot cope with such wife. I have tried many times to make her understand that this way we cannot build a house but she is not ready to understand. 

She even abuse me and even give me threatens of suicide.

Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

1) file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty

2)wife abusing husband amounts to mental cruelty

3) wife not serving food for aged parents amounts to mental cruelty

4) wife forcing husband to stay away from parents amounts to mental cruelty

5) lodge NC with local police station regarding wife constant threats to commit suicide and abusing aged parents

6) if wife files false dowry harassment case obtain AB from sessions court

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95208 Answers
7610 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hello Amit,

I understand the situation that you are in, but at the outset it you who will have to decide that you want to go for divorce or not, I request you to kindly tell me as to you need legal suggestion with regards to divorce or some other issue.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
18079 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Y9urs is more a personal problem than a legal one.

2. So you better resolve amicably .

3. Take her to trips or outings so refresh her .

4. If this does not work out then file a suit for divorce referably mutual divorce.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22920 Answers
498 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File for divorce.

After 10 years of marriage don't worry about her threat of criminal cases

If you find it difficult to live with her then there is no other option than a divorce

However before moving to court see the possibilities of a mutual divorce.

You will have to discuss about the s alimony and children custody etc

Remember since you have two children and a marriage of more than 10 years of old make your fight difficult in the court

But if your wife is educated and can be earning the burden of maintenance will be less

Consult a lawyer in person and proceed to file for divorce

Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1642 Answers
212 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

Immediately file a divorce case against her before family court based on Cruelty U/s 13(1)(ia) of Hindu Marriage Act-1955

if there is any chance for amicably settlement then try for that with the help of lawyers, friends, relatives & marriage Counselor appointed by Family Court and go for mutual consent divorce.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6307 Answers
302 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. You have to then decide what you want. Since the conduct of your wife amounts to mental cruelty you are free to file a petition for divorce on this ground, which can contested by your wife.

2. She may also hit back by filing 498A and Domestic Violence cases against you.

3. Record her acts, more particularly her threats of suicide, so that you have a good defence against her.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The weapon what a wife will use is either suicidal drama or lodging a criminal complaint with the police agaisnt the disobedient husband.

This has become the trend of women these days to keep their husbands under their control and always try to help their parents alone.

They also will not care or bother for their parents in laws, instead they will insult and ill treat them by abuses and even physical assaults in many cases.

Well your marriage should be over a decade now and you will be having grown up children, now the future and career of your children will be at stake if you take any drastic step to divorce her.

However if you think that it will not be possible to carry on with the marital relationship with her anymore and feel that the separation will bring you relief, you may decide to either file a judicial separation petition or even a divorce petition on the grounds of cruelty.

No doubt she will retaliate by slapping criminal cases, in the form of 498a and dowry harassment cases, plus she may file DV case too, you have to take care of the repercussions as well.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85409 Answers
2237 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer