Succession certificate for bank locker
My father died last month and he had a locker in the bank(Single Name, No Nominee). Bank is asking for a succession certificate. I am the only child of my parents.
Where to get the succession certificate in my mother's name?(My mother is alive)
Procedure to file application for succession certificate?
Thanks and Regards,
Asked 3 years ago in Property Law from Noida, Uttar Pradesh
1) you have make application to district court for issue of succession certificate
2) contact a local lawyer .
3) The name and relationship of the petitioner, names of all heirs of the deceased, details about the time, date and place of death should be mentioned in the application. A copy of the death certificate has to be produced.
4) The court typically issues a notice in the newspapers for a given period . If no one contests the petition on the expiry of this period, the court passes an order for issuance of succession certificate.
Fees: The court levies a fixed percentage of the value of the estate as fee for issuance of the certificate.
If the petition is not contested, the court usually issues a succession certificate in five to seven months or so
A. file petition in district court for the grant of succession certificate by court.
B. file necessary documents like death certificate of ur father , identity proof etc with petition.
C. then court will get the matter published in at least 2 leading newspaper of ur area for filing of objections if any, by anyone.
D. file list of items lying in bank locker also in court.
E. if then no person contest the petition court will grant succession certificate to you.
F. take help of local lawyer for filing of said petition in court.
Advocate, New Delhi
Hi, you have to file a petition in the district court for succession certificate it is better contact local advocate for the needful.
I agreed with Senior Counsel Mr. Ajay Sethi
1. To get a succession certificate you have to file a civil application before the District court. The case is to be filed in the court, where the properties of the deceased relative are situated or where he/she normally resided. Depending on the value of the estate of the deceased, the matter shall go to the type of court, which can conduct cases for that value.
2. You will need the death certificate of your father and copies of the moveable property documents which will be needed to be attached with such application and the legal heir ship certificate.whereafter the Certificate is typed by the court staff, duly signed and sealed and delivered.
3. The court fee will have to be paid as decided by the Registrar of the Court as per the court rules based upon the value of such moveable property.
4. Normally a newspaper notice is also issued apart from mandatory notice to the respondents. If no one comes forward to oppose the grant of succession certificate then the entire process may take up to 6 months before you have the succession certificate typed by the court staff, duly signed and sealed and delivered to you.
1. Succession Certificate will not be issued in any particular person's name. The names of the successors will be mentioned in the said certificate,
2. You shall have to file a petition before the District Court annexing the deatch certificate of your father duly mentioning the names of his heirs, about the date of his death etc. by paying prescribed fees comensurate with the value of the property,
3. The Court will notify the same in Newspaper giving ample chance to other claimants to contest the application, if any,
4. It takes around 10 months to get the said certificate from the Court if the application is not contested by any body,
5. After getting the said succession certificate all the successors as mentioned in the said certificate should apply to the Bank to handover the contents of the locker of your deceased father to all of the successors or their representative.
If I need succession certificate for different assets do I have file different petition for each asset separately?
I also have a car in my fathers name. Do I need to file petition for a different succession certificate for the car or it can be included in the same petition?
Thanks and Regards,
Asked 3 years ago
In a single application/case you can add as many goods/assets of the deceased as you can lay your hands on. No need for separate applications.
A single petition will suffice. In one petition you can seek access to all the assets of your deceased father.
1) one application should suffice .
2) you should mention list of all movable assets of the deceased in said application filed before district court