• Money issue

my father was taken money from his friends.Last 6 months back my father expired. Now his friend asking me the money..can you suggest me
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
was money advanced by cash or cheque ? does your father friend have any written proof of any such loan advanced ? did you inherit any moveable or immoveable property from your father ? please clarify . 

please note that your liability for father debts would be limited to assets received by you from father estate on his death
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
50782 Answers
3020 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

loan payment is limied to received assets  by u . more over person giving must have proof .
Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Dear Querist
you are not responsible for his debt but if the person file a civil suit then you have to pay the amount if court pass decree against you because you are legal Heir of your father.
contact a lawyer personally, it will be better.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4941 Answers
232 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

A person's liability ends on his demise, unless there exists a written promise to repay the amount by his legal heir and from his own estate. In absence of such agreement you would not be liable to repay the debts.

Feroz Shaikh
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
407 Answers
58 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

If your father has executed any document while taking the loan, if so, what is the document. whether the document is registered? why the loan was obtained by your father? these details are missing in your question. kindly re-send the question with these details for better opinion. however, you can contact me in this regard, along with documents.
Ananth Kumar
Advocate, Bangalore
122 Answers
61 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

 in case any civil suit file to recover the money there will be attachment on your father's property, if anything left behind by him. There is gain it depend on the agreement or contract which he has signed which assign legal heirs  responsible. If it was personal loan you are not liable to pay. Do not bow to their demands of payment .let them proceed in the court.which will give you time and a chance to defend, if it happens so engage an advocate.  it looks like they are pressurizing you, legally they cannot get it.
Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1521 Answers
143 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer