• How to get Notarized and Attested Copies of Hindu Marriage Act?

Hello All,

I am in the process of getting a divorce outside India.
I'm currently residing in Dubai, UAE.

Fortunately, I am able to apply the laws of India in Dubai with regards to the divorce.

However, my issue is I need to:
(1) Obtain a Copy of the Hindu Marriage Act of 1955 and all subsequent amendments in English.
(2) Obtain a Copy of the Foreign Marriage Act of 1969
(3) Get them notarized by the Indian Ministry of Justice and Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Delhi or Mumbai.
(4) Finally get everything attested by the UAE Embassy in Delhi or Mumbai.

My question is, is there someone here who can guide me to an appropriate channel (i.e.; An Advocate Practice or Agency etc.) to obtain said documentation?
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from United Arab Emirates
Religion: Hindu
You may contact personally over the phone or over the mail.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1) you can visit Indian consulate in UAE and have the HMA and FMA attested 

2) you don't need an advocate in this regard 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46766 Answers
2767 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. First get the said Bare Acts from givt. publications,

2. Get those Bare Acts notarised by  a Notary Public in India,

3. Place those Bare Acts before the Indian Ministry of Justice and Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Delhi or Mumbai for further notarisation,

4. Follow the same procedure and place those Bare Acts for further notarisation by the UAE Embassy in Delhi or Mumbai.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18772 Answers
453 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Hindu Marriage Act and Foreign Marriage Act are in English. Just download them and apply to the concerned Ministries for notarization, if this is the demand of the authorities in UAE. It will be a time consuming process though.

2. Engage a lawyer for this as you will have to face comatose babus in the ministries. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23140 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There are books and journals containing the entire laws which you desire to have.

Since these are open to public there is no need to authenticate the same by getting it notarised.

The Law books pertaining to the laws you have referred herein above is available in any low bookstore across the country and you can also download the bare acts through internet web sites. 

For this you dont need the assistance of any lawyer. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36925 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) Since all laws are published in a gazette, you should try to get the gazette. However you will have 2 problems in this 
1) Procuring copies of Gazette notification will be time consuming and 
2) Even if you can lay your hands on the Gazette, it will be of little use to you as Indian embassy cannot attest a Gazette which is published by the Government of India. The rule is Indian Embassy is an extended arm and subservient/ servant of Government of India and hence a subservient/servant cannot attest the publication of the master.  

3)Alternatively you can also obtain a copy of both Hindu Marriage act and Foreign Marriage Act along with amendments  in Printed Book form. 

4) These printed book form of Hindu Marriage Act and Foreign Marriage Act are available with leading law publishers such as Asia Law House , Eastern book store, Universal etc.  These law publishers also have online purchase facility and you can purchase both the bare acts online and have the books delivered to you within 7 days to your residence at UAE. 

5) Globally Laws of a specific country when presented in book form (book published by Leading publishers) , the same will be  accepted by  the courts across the world. 

Hope this helps.
Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
1324 Answers
168 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer