• Adultery laws


I have had relations with a married woman in the past, which had ended. I am now married myself. I believe (although I do not know this for a fact) that this person is now filing for divorce as well. She is after me to ‘hold me accountable’. All three of us, this lady, my wife and I work in the same firm.

Please advise what issues she can create legally?
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
section 497 of IPC deals with adultery . if you had relations with a married women her husband can file case of adultery against you . under this section only the male offender is liable but the lady goes scot free .

 under section 497 of IPC in case you had sexual relations without the consent  or  connivance  of her husband it is punishable with a imprisonment for upto 5 years orfine or both . in such cases wife cannot be punished as an abettor 

you have mentioned that the married women wants to hold you accounable . did you have sexual relations with her under promise of marriage . did you exchange any emails sms or letters wherein you promised her marriage . in such a case she can file case of rape against you .
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
48067 Answers
2854 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

agree with Mr. Sethi
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4917 Answers
228 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

mr. sethi 100% correct.but she does have any proof then u did not to bother.
Avdhesh Chaudhary
Advocate, Greater Noida
565 Answers
20 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

You want to enjoy your wife as well as that lady.Though you claim not to have any relationship now but she is always in your mind and in relation may be partially.I am rude to you so that you don't have to face legal problems as mentioned above.

You and your wife should try to leave this company as early as possible,if you want to save your family life.
Anil Gupta,
Anil Gupta
Advocate, New Delhi
180 Answers
41 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You can be in serious trouble if your wife files a case against you.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23475 Answers
654 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer