• Post graduation in same subject twice

is it legal to do post graduation in single subject (like M.A. in History) twice from two different universities in different sessions. The reason behind doing this is to better performance like try to get more marks second time.For employment purposes will the second degree will hold ground?
Asked 3 years ago in Criminal Law from Patna, Bihar
1. Certainly it can be done legally if the said university allows it,

2. I am aware of a case whereM.SC.  examination in the same subject of anthropology was appeared by a candidate twice in subsequent sessons of the same University to inprove his grade from 32nd class to 1st class,

3. The said University had such provision for sitting for examinations multiple times to upgrade their classes,

4. Enquire from your University whether they permit further sitting for examination of a subject for which you have already sat and scored pass mark with some other university,

5. It will be illegal if you suppress the fact of your passing out the same examination from other university.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18112 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

it is legal,
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4793 Answers
219 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

It would be absolutely legal to appear for the same exam in the same subject as far as the university permits you to do so.
There is nothing illegal about approaching another university with the hope that you would perform better and get a better grade.When you have to produce the certificate for employment no one is going to investigate your educational history.All that matters is that your certificate is valid and recognized by the University and governed by UGC guidelines.
S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
2229 Answers
110 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes, it is legal provided the University where from you intent to do has no such restriction.Better enquire from concerned university.
S.P. Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
703 Answers
13 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Usually the University objects for doing two degrees at the same time. Technically your matter would qualify for getting two degrees, even though it is in same subject. However, if your university grants you permission to go ahead with the course simultaneously, it is perfectly legal. 

with regard to your employment, any one of the degrees are perfectly valid if taken from a university recognized by the UGC.
Shaveta Chaudhary (Sanghi)
Advocate, Chandigarh
843 Answers
63 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Unless and until the rules of a university specifically bar enrolling for post graduation in the same course in which the applicant has already obtained post graduate degree from any other university, it is not illegal to do so.

2. Do not conceal from the university the fact that you have done post graduate in the same subject from another university as concealment thereof would make you liable to be prosecuted for cheating.

3. The rules of the university would be the deciding factor.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22964 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

though legal but why u wasted ur time doing in same subject.u could have done in some other art subject.

both degrees are valid.

any how, best of luck to you for ur employment.
R.K. Nanda
Advocate, New Delhi
457 Answers

3.8 on 5.0

revealing your post graduation done in a subject to the university where you wish to re-post graduate in same subject in such circumstances the subjected university by laws permits to do so you are not restrained for re-post graduation in the same subject from that university.
Brijendra Kumar Vishwakarma
Advocate, Kanpur
117 Answers

3.3 on 5.0

1. it is legal.

2. when you place your certificate before any authority then you could be questioned in this regard. it will not give good impression.

3. If you hide previous certificate and give any reason for not doing anything in that session then you will commit an offence of cheating.
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
4973 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer