• Transfer of property in absence of death certificate

My father was from Kerala, Though he led most of his life in Mumbai. His legal name was Mohommed Mayeen pulyankudath. All his DL, Passport and property in India is registered under this name. However in Kerala he was known as Kunjimol Mohommed. He passed away in Kerala when on a visit and the people there registered the death under Kunjimol Mohommed. I was unaware of this as i am not familiar with Malayalam language. Now he has a property in Mumbai for which i and my brother are legal heir. The death certificate is under Kunjimol Mohommed and not under Mohommed Mayeen Pulyankudath. My father was a muslim.
Please help and suggest how me and my brother can transfer this property under our name legally.
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law from Vasai, Maharashtra
Religion: Christian
1) Apply for correction of name in death certificate on basis of his passport and other documents 

2) on basis of death certificate obtain letters of administration from district court and apply for mutation of property in your name and that of your brother 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44163 Answers
2561 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Apply for rectification of your father's name in his death certificate, failing which the transfer of property will be on a sticky wicket.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22958 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you have to make a representation to the respective authorities that issue fresh death certificate as his name his  so and you can also produce the DL, passport etc if the authorities fail to issue the fresh death certificate you have no other options you have to file suit directing the authorities to issue fresh death certificate.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4527 Answers
202 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

File an application for changing of name in death certificate before the local authority and produce the other certificates which relates to his original name( Mohommed Mayeen pulyankudath) . Also meet the elected  local member of panchayath / municipality/ corporation for getting the same. As per you application for registration of death local bodies register the death in that name . So the mistake is done by the person who register the death. 
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
2756 Answers
44 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer