• Harassment by father-in-law

I am facing harassment from my father-in-law. Me and my wife have a difficult relationship where in we didn't have physical intimacy for more than a year. Now we are trying to make it work somehow. The problem is that my wife keeps calling her father and complain about me at slightest chance and he will then either shout at me on phone or come over to my house. I have tried talking to my wife that we should handle the issues ourselves but she doesn't want to change. I have tried talking to my father-in-law as well but he doesn't want to let her go either. My wife is too much attached to her father - so much that she even gets his advice on her periods or menstrual problems.

It becomes so unbearable that I really need to know if there is any recourse in law which would help me out deal with this or at least restrain him  (other than going for a divorce eventually)
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu
1) visit a family counsellor to resolve your disputes 

2) you  can take a job in another city and start staying there 

3) your FIL constant visits to your house would reduce and you can lead a happy married life 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46678 Answers
2762 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Since you do not wish to end your marriage you may file a suit for injunction to restrain your father-in-law from interfering in your matrimonial life. Apart from this there is no other remedy.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23097 Answers
639 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The situation prevailing in your household is a common sight in almost all the households these days.  
The parental interference in the matrimonial life makes the smooth going one to a hell like situation.
If the situation is continued to allow for a long time then either you may have to be at her beck and call or would lead a distressed life due to quarrels and chaos and continuing unrest and mental agony.
If you do not want to go for divorce, you may leave the house and live separately and also can file a petition for judicial separation under section 10 of Hindu marriage act.
This separation for a little longer time may make her to change her attitude and become alright by realizing the values of the married life, hence try.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36851 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, It is better both you and your wife go for marriage counselor so that you can sort out your issue amicably.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

you should handle this situation with care and try to reduce tension. thereafter you should take service of family counselor or give psychiatric treatment. you should plan a good trip of her choice and talk on every issue with consciously. involve yourself in her all matters and keep your ego away from this relation.
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

you should try to be a good friend of her rather than a strict husband. then she will share her emotions with you. you should give some time with patiently and don't think that all things will change in sudden 
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
5066 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Your father in law need counselling. Convince him to joint the marriage counselling along with you both. Take a help of counselor.

Try to convince her about the problems crated by her father in both of your marriage and ask her to ready for 'let one go' or 'balance both husband and fathers' emotional requirements'. And tell that you are not ready to be third person in between Father and Daughter relationship. Also explain her duties towards her father as well as husband and question her if she is complying both the responsibilities with same vigour. 

Take help of the elders of the family to deal with the situation. Do not confront with your father in law directly.
Take necessary preventive measure to protect yourself from the false charges which may be leveled against you.
Sandeep Hegde
Advocate, Bangalore
403 Answers
117 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1. It is your wife who has been calling her father,

2. So, it is your wife who shall have to stop calling her father if you do not want to take legal action like divorcing your wife or police action against your father in law,

3. If things become unbearable to you, ou can talk to your father in law directly and convey the message that you do not like his interference in to your married life.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18749 Answers
452 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer