• Building documents lost

Dear sir,

My issue is i have a flat which is in fathers name and the documents all of them are not traceble, though we have the sale deed of the land when it was purchase but we do not have the documents pertaining to the flat as it is lost now my question is how do we get the duplicate document so that my father could transfer the same to our name.

And in this type of case what is the best solution
Asked 7 months ago in Property Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
1) yiur father should lodge FIR about loss of original documents of flat 

2) issue public notice 

3) apply for  certified copy of sale deed from sub registrar office 
Hi, If the documents are registered one, the same should be available in the Sub-Registrar office so you have to apply for certified copies and you will get the same.
1) you have not mentioned whether your father can sign documents or not 

2) if so your father can excute POA in your favour to lodge FIR about loss of documents 

3) have the  POA notarised 

4) obtain father signature on letter to local police station regarding loss of original documents of flat and truest police to lodge FiR in this regard 

5) issue public notice in local newspapers about loss of original documents 

6) apply fir certified copy of original sake deed in sub registrar office on basis of POA 
Hi, First you have to file a complaint in the Jurisdictional Police Station for having lost the documents  and thereafter you have to make a paper publication to that effect in two leading news paper.

2. As far obtaining certified copies of the documents is concerned you have to apply the same in the Sub-Registrar office.
You can apply to the office of sub-registrar to issue a certified copy of the conveyance deed. The required amount of fee will have to be paid. The procedure is to fill up an application form in the prescribed format and give it to the sub-registrar's office. The services of a local lawyer should be availed in this regard for smooth conclusion of process.
If you have sale deed of the flat, you may find the link documents from that sale deed itself, with that clue, you can apply for certified copies of the same from registrar's office.
If you refer to the documents relating to the flat, what are they?
 whether share certificate? or mutation records or sub division records?
Please specify.
As a common man not knowing anything in law i was thinking i would get a detailed answer the process to apply for my lost documents , my father is bed ridden and he cannot even lodge an FIR or an complaint in that case i will have to do so, i would request you to please lead me to the process step by step , it would be helpful for me

You have mentioned that the documents are not traceable so it means that you have not lost it.  If you have not lost it then you may not approach police for missing document, instead approach the concerned authorities, i.e., revenue department with an application seeking the copy of the desired/requisite document.
file an FIR that document has lost. if you have some details about the date or month of registration of flat then you can get certified copy of the deed from the registry department. 

you should do some query from your neighbors towards registration of flat. you will get book number from their registered deed then you can easily trace your deed from registry department.