• How to get a name change?

Hello, I am Shashi Kant Gupta from Mohali, Punjab. I am married to Dr. Mamtesh Kumari. 
In all the documents of my wife, her name is being reflected as Mamtesh Kumari that includes her academic certificates, ration card, voter card, etc. 
Before our marriage, she applied for the passport with a new name as Mamtesh Arya (just because she wanted without any specific reason). The agent told her that she has to get that published in newspapers which she did. He did not told her to print that in Gazette (and she did not know whether the agent himself got that printed or not). She now has a valid passport with her name printed as Mamtesh Arya. 
Now, all her documents except passport has her name as Mamtesh Kumari and in her passport, it is Mamtesh Arya. 
Now, after marriage, we want her name to be changed as Mamtesh Gupta. How can we do that? What will be the procedure as she has two names printed now on different documents (Mamtesh Arya in passport and Mamtesh Kumari in all others)? 
I read on Internet that Gazette Publication is required. 
But we are living in Punjab (Mohali). Authorities here said that they don't publish any such thing in gazette and their gazette is only for government news, articles. So in this case, how can this requirement for name change be fulfilled? 
So, I have following queries:- 
1.	What will be the procedure to change the name as she already has two names printed on different documents (Mamtesh Arya in passport and Mamtesh Kumari in all others)?
2.	How can the requirement of publication in gazette be fulfilled if there is no gazette for public publication in any state?
Asked 1 year ago in Constitutional Law from Mohali, Punjab
Change of name has far reaching consequences as it opens a long drawn process to incorporate the name in all the documents of identity, hence it should not be done unless exceptional circumstances exist. Be that as it may, your wife should swear an affidavit in front of an executive magistrate and then publish the changed name in two regional newspapers. 

1. Make an affidavit done before the local Magistrate about the name change.
2. Thereafter make a paper publication.
These are enough.

1) She has to get an affidavit of name change in the prescribed format as per notifications of the passport authority and publish the same in the government gazette and two local dailies, one in English and one in the local vernacular. Retain the original copies of the newspaper publication for future purposes.

2) Every state has gazette publication centre where upon paying prescribed fee you can publish a public notice such as name change. You are either being misguided by the authorities in Mohali or the Government press is another  city in Punjab. Ask the same office in Mohali FIR direction or take the help of a trustworthy agent. 

1) for change of name from mamtesh kumari to mamtesh arya publication in official gazette is must and also publication in 2 local newspapers. also affidavit of name change was required

2) your wife would not have got passport in name of Mamtesh Arya unless the above procedure was followed. 

3)on basis of change of name  done by publication in official gazette your wife can in her official documents get the name changed in her driving license,PAN card etc 

4)after marriage both can register the marriage before marriage registrar . marriage certificate would reflect  mamtesh gupta as your wife  name .

Hi, Your wife has to file  a suit for change of name. In the suit you have to make State and other authorities are parties.

First choose the name to be called henceforth and then get an affidavit executed duly before a notary public. Make a publication of the change of name in a local leading newspaper.  With a copy of both the above documents, you may fill the  the necessary application as per the format available with the government press where the government gazettes are published. Get the change of name published and have copies of the same which shall suffice the requirement.

You can follow the procedure stated above.