• Denied admission to a beach

greetings, Sir!
my friends and i went to kovalam beach (particularly known as eves beach) in kerala two days back. it is a public beach. however the lifeguards there asked us to leave the beach saying that it was only for family. there was no signboard saying that bachelors were not allowed on the beach. is this legal? do we not have  a right to visit public beaches in india?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law from Trivandrum, Kerala
1) yes you have right to visit public beaches . you cannot be restrained from visiting public beaches merely because you are a bachelor . 

2) the best option for you is to raise the issue in media as to how bachelors are being denied access to public beaches . 

3) also address letter to Muncipal commissioner in  your city regarding discrimination against bachelors 

4) file an RTI application as to whether any policy decision has been taken to deny access to bachelors in kovalam beach
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46766 Answers
2767 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you have to lodge a police complaint before the jurisdictional police that life guards are not allowing you to enter into beach.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

You can file a writ for the same with damages.you ask the media to take your issue and file a private complaint for the same.
Jeshma Mohandas KP
Advocate, Kozhikode
567 Answers
1 Consultation

4.5 on 5.0

1. No beach in India has yet been declared to be for the use of family or couple,

2. The beach guards have acted of their own in barring your entry there,

3. Moreover, it is only the police who bars entry, not beach guards,

4. You can complaint about the incidence to the local Tourist Depertment,

5. No legal action in this regard is worth for want of any tangible evidence to prove your allegation.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18772 Answers
453 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Public beaches are definitely for public.You are first a public then bachelor or married. Marital status has nothing to do with the rights of a citizen.Try to get information through RTI wheither any order has been passed by the competent authority for not allowing bachelors to visit the said beach thereafter escalate the issue through electronic and other media and get the restrictions,if any, removed through court, if need be.
S.P. Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
703 Answers
13 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Dear Querist
You may file a complaint against them before Tourism Department or May file a Civil Suit for Damages or defamation  or You may File a Writ Petition Before HC/SC, It is clearly violation of Your Fundamental Rights which was provided by Constitution Of India.
Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
4880 Answers
226 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

If you take legal action, then it very difficult to prove your case, as you dont have evidence, which can support that authorities have refused the entry.
Sudershani Ray
Advocate, New Delhi
192 Answers
42 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer