• Witness not in town

We got married as per Muslim law and went to register office to register our marriage along with 3 witness. After necessary formalities, we were asked to come after 31 days to finish the final formalities along with the same witnesses. However, two of the witnesses are not available in country and we don't know how to proceed.

Please guide us on this situation.
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Religion: Muslim
1) you can register the marriage subsequently also if witnesses are not in town 

2) visit the marriage registrar office on said date and mention that 2 witnesses are not in town 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
40299 Answers
2289 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can bring any two other witnesses by making an application. It is not mandatory to bring only those witnesses whose name was set out in the list of witnesses. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22656 Answers
609 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Check with the registrar now only on whether you can replace the witnesses. this is permitted many a times as your problem is not unique. 
Rajgopalan Sripathi
Advocate, Hyderabad
1194 Answers
128 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, request the authority to cancel the earlier registration and do the fresh registration and make sure that witness who are available can only sign the register. 
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4451 Answers
197 Consultations

4.3 on 5.0

This will not find a any legal solution to your problem. If you had taken witness for registration, you may take some other witness to the registrar's office in the place of the previous witnesses. Explain your difficulties to the registrar for producing the same witnesses and convince the authority for replacing the names of witnesses in the registration form with their respective identity proofs. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
30397 Answers
317 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer