• Is certified copy of marriage certificate valid L1/L2 US Visa?

My wive and I had got our marriage registered in Mumbai under the registrar's office at MBMC, However, we had misplaced our marriage certificate and have managed to get it reissued from the same registrar's office. The problem is that the certified copy does not have the photographs of my wife and me which were there in the original certificate that was issued to us. 

I am applying for an L1 visa to US and hence for my wife to apply for an L2 visa, we would need to produce proof of marriage. Would the certified copy (which does not have the photographs) still work as a valid proof or do I need to get it notarized or stamped from a court of law? Please advise.
Asked 9 months ago in Family Law from Thane, Maharashtra
The certified copy is prepared from the original document which is preserved in the office of registrar. Meet the registrar personally to know why the photographs are missing on the certified copy. Since the documents in registrar office are kept in shambles it is possible that the photos may have struck off the original document. A certified copy without photographs of spouses is unlikely to be accepted.
1. If the certified copy or the duplicate copy does not bear your respective photos then nothing to worry ,more so, if the duplicate copy does not have provision to have the same.
2.If your respective names and addresses are there which can be substantiated by your respective passports then it should cause any problem.
1) certified copy of marriage certificate would be sufficient proof of marriage 

2) it is not necessary to get it notarised or stamped 
Certified copies of marriage issued by the sub-registrar  are good enough as US Consulate is aware of our marriage traditions.
Also take the wedding invite and marriage photographs along with you for the visa interview. Best wishes to both of you. 
1) show only certified copy of marriage certificate 

2) dont volunteer any information 

3) no need to show photocopies of original certificate when you have certified copy of marriage certificate 

Yes. you can show them the certified copies of Marriage certificate as well as the photocopies of the original certificate if asked.you can be candid saying that the marriage certificate is misplaced. 
You can show it but you should get your photo attested by Marriage Registrar on the marriage certificate. Registrar m gezetted officer and he is empowered to do it.
You should tell the truth as they appreciate it. In your case the photograph is missing on the certified copy, so it is immaterial that you lost the original. You should certainly show the photocopy if you have it,

The marriage certificate issued by the competent authority shall be a valid document to prove your marriage, you can very well attach the same to the application seeking visa under the said provisions. 
My sincere thanks to all the legal minds for your invaluable inputs. And please excuse my brevity and grammar as I was typing from my smartphone. I have an additional question. At the time of the L1/L2 interview, if the interviewer requests to see my marriage certificate, should I state upfront that I had misplaced my original marriage certificate and hence what I am providing is a certified extract copy of the original? Fortunately, I had kept photocopies of the original certificate that I will also be carrying with me. Should I show that as well? Regards.

During the time of interview, you first produce the certified copies obtained now and remain silent, let them ask any doubt about it after which you can explain about the circumstances under which you lost the original certificate however since you possess the photocopies, the attested copies of the same are produced before them, the authorities will be convinced about it, proceed.