• Continuous threatening by in-laws

I was married 2yrs ago,my husband and I,both are govt. employee. After my marrige I started to live at my in-laws house,after sometimes they started to create pressure on me regarding dowry,they wanted money from me and my mother (my father died just 30days before my marriage) to repair their house,to buyAC etc. Their pressure was so extreme that I tried to commit suicide, but was rescued. After that I left my in-laws house and started to live at my own flat with my mother. My husband used to come to my flat at night only, and this system continued for last 6 months. I had no relation with the other members of my in-laws . But my husband too started asking for money from me and my mother,he often beat me as i denied to give him money. Now from last 1month we are living separate, my husband is living at his house and I live here with my mother,we have no cantact for last one month. Now ,today i got a phone call from an unknown person, who said that my in-laws have submitted a petition against me at Polba police station(my in-laws house in under polba p.s and my house is under chuchura p.s) and he asked me to meet him at polba p.s,he introduced himself as a lawyer and said that he want to talk to me on this matter. I denied to go anywhere to meet an unknown person. Now I want to know what should I do? Should I meet that person or what legal step can I take? my security is also at risk as I stay here alone with my mother.
Asked 9 months ago in Family Law from Hugli Chuchura, West Bengal
1) refuse to meet that unknown person

2)you can file 498A case against your husband and in laws for dowry harassment and for continuous acts of cruelty

3) also file DV case and seek protection order against husband and in laws

4) you can also  file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty 
1) in that case convince your husband to visit a marriage counsellor to resolve your disputes

2) in the alternative involve the elders to help in achieving reconciliation 
1) You are not obligated to meet his lawyer with reference to a police complaint lodged by your in laws. If there's a police complaint in place it is the police that should contact you.

2) As you do not wish to file for divorce, on order to protect your interests you need to file a complaint under provisions of Protection of Women against Domestic Violence Act 2005 seeking protection, compensation for the tortures, separate residence, maintenance etc.

3) Your husband and the in laws will be made parties in the compliant as they are jointly and severally liable for the offence committed.

4) You also have the option   to file a criminal complaint under section 498 A of IPC against your husband and the in laws for dowry harassment and cruelty and this can lead to their arrest and put them in a spot for atrocities committed.

5) Let your pregnancy not deter you from making considered decisions in protecting your rights and that of the unborn child.
Hi, you don't go unknown place, if you want to you can file a complaint against that person.

2. You have a option to file a petition under DV Act for alternative residence or financial help.

3. It is better you can settle the matter amicably.

1. If there was a complaint filed against you then you would have received a call from a policeman and not a lawyer. This surrounds his claim in suspicion. You should refuse to go to p.s unless you receive summons from police to appear for investigation. 

2. You have the remedy of filing a case for domestic violence to claim the right to reside in your matrimonial home without suffering further domestic violence. This apart, you can also claim alternate accommodation from your husband at his expenditure.
1. Do not. I repeat do not meet that person or any such unknown person,

2. You shall have to decide what do you want to do with this relationship with your husband,

3. Do you want to continue with this type of relationship or terminate it and start your own life,

4. Since you are employed, you will not get any maintenance from him,

5. If you decide to call it a day, file a divorce petition on the ground of cruelty against your husband claiming adequate amount as compensation.
1. You shall have to decide what do you want to do with this type of relationship,

2. Your husband is torturing you  for dowry/money, not willing to stay with you  and you still do not want divorce from him,

3. Please note that no law/Court can force your husband to join you if he does not want to,

4. If you do not want divorce then try to settle the dispute amicably.
Now I want to know what should I do? Should I meet that person or what legal step can I take? my security is also at risk as I stay here alone with my mother.
First of all it was your fault that you kept quite without taking any legal action against your husband or his relatives for having demanded money from you as dowry and for having tortured you on that score.  In fact your husband is also held liable for the humiliations he meted out to you, dont know why you kept silent and endured all the pains sufferings in silence. 
Now you have received a call from an unknown person, may be he is a lawyer or anyone, nobody has a right to summon you to any place of their choice for any reason other than the law enforcing authority who may act upon any complaint or on the alleged commission of any offence by you. So, you may just ignore the call and inform the caller strictly that if he is not stopping this activity, you may give a complaint against him with the police for which he will be held liable for the consequences and costs thereon. 
Even now you have an option to file a case under section 498a against your husband for acts of cruelty  one against you. You can even lodge a complaint giving the phone number from which you received the said call stating that your lief as well as that of our mother is in danger and seek protection from them against the possible assaults.  They will call the caller and warn him/her for this illegal act. 
i don't want divorce now, because I am pregnant now.so what should I do?
If you do not want to give divorce, oppose his  moves for divorce strongly and also do not give in  to the pressures for mutual consent divorce too which may be forced upon you.