• Medical reimbursement eligibility for a retired govt officer

I retired from my services at Jalgaon (Maharashtra) municipal corporation in 2013. I'm going to undergo a major surgery. Are medical expenses for that surgery and recovery eligible to be reimbursed?
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from United States
1. Yo must have post retirement medical facilities provided by your ex-employer as mentioned  in your terms of employment and also as per their rule,

2. Normally, treatment in Govt Hospitals are allowed by such Municipal Corporations,

3. Currently, treatment (including surgery) in specialised private hospitals have also been permitted by certain Municipal Corporations wherein the amount will be directly reimbursed to the said private hospitals,   

4. Treatment abroad will not be reimbursed by any Indian Municipal Corporations.
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18135 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) An employee after retirement needs more of medical attention, therefore expenditure

incurred on treatment of self and his/her dependents is more. With meager and dwindling

resources, it makes the lives of such pensioners/family pensioner miserable

2) you  would be eligible for medical reimbursement after retirement subject to certain ceiling 

3)for instance in delhi The bills raised towards treatment of the beneficiary

shall be claimed by the hospital directly from Municipal Corporation of Delhi. Therefore

the beneficiary will have the privilege to undergo necessary treatment through a cashless


3) all charges reimbursed / or claimed through credit facility shall be strictly as per prevailing CGHS rates.

4) you must make enquires with jalgoan municipal corporation in this regard 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44279 Answers
2572 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This has to be decided in the light of the rules framed by the state govt which are not uniform throughout India. More often than not, the expenses incurred on life saving surgeries are reimbursable, completely or partially, to the govt employees even after their service. A Maharashtra based lawyer would be able to answer your question. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You should file all of bills regarding treatment before municipal corporation and district CM0. If it is proved that such teeatmeut is not available en government hopital or condition is such that you could not wait for treatment in government hospital your all bills will be cleared. 
Shivendra Pratap Singh
Advocate, Lucknow
4973 Answers
78 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Eligibility to claim medical reimbursements is available only while in service, you have retired in 2013, therefore you are not eligible to medical reimbursements at this point in time.
If you have medical insurance then those agencies will reimburse it, provided this treatment is covered under their medical policy.
Kiran N. Murthy
Advocate, Bangalore
987 Answers
86 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

All Central Government pensioners/family pensioners who were eligible for taking treatment under the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) while in service are eligible for availing CGHS facilities after retirement, irrespective of whether they were or were not availing CGHS facilities while in service. Further, it is not necessary that these pensioners / family pensioners should be living in the areas covered under the CGHS
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34432 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have to go through the service rules and regulations.  Normally, there will be reimbersement for the whole family, even though you retire. 
Ravinder Pasula
Advocate, Hyderabad
397 Answers
92 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer