• Adverse report on passport

I applied for Tatkal passport and had to leave India due to family medical emergency and was absent at the time of Police inquiry. I am in US now. I received a letter from RPO asking for explanation, fresh application with correct details and circumstances under which the information was suppressed. I had submitted correct information as needed for the issuance. I am unable to travel at current time. What are the options? Can they impound my passport? I am a permanent resident of US. I do travel off and on but not able to at present time.
Asked 10 months ago in Civil Law from United States
1) you have to in reply mention that you did not suppress any information that you had to travel abroad for family emergency 

2) send an application through registered post to the RPO explaining why police submitted an adverse report.

If the RPO finds your reply satisfactory, your letter would be treated as a request to reinitiate the police verification process. You could track the status of your case online through your file number.

3) if you do not  reply and  make fresh application show cause notice would be issued by  passport authorities for impounding of your passport
The passport can be impounded if the police verification report has been adverse. You should write to RPO and offer to to make yourself available for police verification. The suppression of information while applying for passport is punishable with an imprisonment of 2 years, so it needs to be checked as to what suppression is RPO claiming. FIR can be filed by RPO. Before flying back you should engage a lawyer to ascertain the present status before RPO.
1) you will have to fly down to India to complete police  verification process 

2) it is safe to travel down to India . Submit your application for fresh police verification and continue to remain in India  till verification is completed 
If there is any thing adverse against you in police verification and you concealed any material facts then the passport authority have right to revoke or impound your passport after given you an opportunity to hearing as per Passport Act.

Contact a lawyer personally or over the phone.

contact Indian embassy and present required documents before appropriate authority. that authority will sent that document to regional passport office for further clarification. if documents filed are matched your verification will be completed virtually and it is a legal process. 
No need to travel India only for re-verification. you must approach to the Indian embassy in this regard. 
1. The query is not clear. You applied for Tatkal passport and left India before police verification was conducted as you were absent when the police came to verify your address. In that case how did you become a permanent resident of US so quickly? When did the incidence take place? Why did you not meet the police after comiing to know that the IO had come to your place to verify your address, before you left?

2. What information you have reportedly suppressed? Immediately post a reply to the RPO explaining your stand  and informing him your next date of visit to India. You may also offer the RPO to submit the requitred information/document to the local Indian Consulate if desired,

3. Impounding of passport is done in extreme cases of fraud, cheating and on the ground of National Security.
1. You shall have to send reply to the letter of the RPO explaining all his queries as advised in my earlier post,

2. After that wait for his advice/instruction and act accordingly. In you letter you should give a time of your next expected meeting with him.
I received a letter from RPO asking for explanation, fresh application with correct details and circumstances under which the information was suppressed. I had submitted correct information as needed for the issuance. I am unable to travel at current time. What are the options? Can they impound my passport? I am a permanent resident of US. I do travel off and on but not able to at present time.
You can contact the Indian consulate in US and give the necessary explanations and an affidavit in the format for the purpose, if required you can even tender an apology for the act which is beyond your control and can state that the same was neither intentional nor wanton. 
The authorities shall first receive your explanation and if convinced they may ask you to comply with further formalities to ensure your passport remains valid.
If not they may ask you to apply afresh as per the instruction vide their notice.
If reverification process is issued, Do I have to fly back in order to fulfill the police inquiry? Will I have enough notice to make travel arrangements? Is it safe to fly from legal perspective? (don't want to get in legal trouble.)
If the Indian consulate or Indian Embassy at US is not able to help you in this regard, you may plan to fly back to India, complete the necessary formalities and return to US.
There is nothing to worry,  it is only a formality issue.  You write a email to the RPO marking a copy to Superintendent of Police/Commissioner and Passport Office stating that you are ready to give any information as required by the Police department at any time and you are always ready to cooperate the Indian officials and you are not able to travel India.  
Ravinder Pasula