• Change of name - Passport application

Good evening Sir,

I am Nandini from Hyderabad, Telangana State. I appreciate the lawyers helping the people by giving their valuable suggestions and legal advices to come out from legal confusions and difficulties.

I need a legal advice regarding applicant's name in passport if there is a change in name after marriage. I am married to a Muslim in 2007 and my name is changed to Neha Fathima (present name). My educational qualified certificates are in the name of Nandini. Please guide me which name I should treat as official name for the passport Nandini or Neha Fathima. If I write Neha Fathima as official name in passport, will i have to face any difficulty in future if I travel to other countries or if apply for a job in other country. 

Kindly guide me in this regard.

Thank you so much.

with regards.

Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Hyderabad, Telangana
Religion: Muslim
1) based on your marriage certificate you should apply for change in name in your passport 

2) you won't have problems in job as the name in your educational certificates was prior to your marriage 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46856 Answers
2772 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Which name do you wish to continue in future?How would you change your name as Neha fathima > is it by using  gazette publication or paper publication?

If you wish to reflect the name as Neha fathima in passport  then use it in application and produce the certificate of marriage along with change of name document. Change in the name of passport will not affect getting a job  as the name in your educational certificates was prior to your marriage is different 
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
2824 Answers
47 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have changed your name after marriage, so you must use your changed name as your name for all official and practical purposes. Filling up your previous name in any document now would attract the offence of cheating and also furnishing false information to the public authority. Under Passport Act there is a 2 years imprisonment prescribed for furnishing of false information in the application form. 
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23173 Answers
641 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you have to file a suit in the Court for change of name and also pray before the court to change the name retrospectively and request the court to change the name in SSLC marks card and other documents also.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

There is no law in India that it is mandatory for a woman to change her maiden after her marriage to combine or change according to the spouse side name or suffixing the name with the spouse name. 
Therefore it was your choice to change your name after marriage and nobody compelled you especially law.  Therefore the change of name after marriage cannot be held legally valid until change of name procedure and formalities were complied fully as per the provisions of law n this regard.
Hence there is no problem in continuing your maiden name with your passport and in fact that would be legally valid or else you have to change your name officially and also attach an affidavit for change of name from the certificates to that of the new one on the basis of the gazette publication.  
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
37030 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer