• Right to education

Dear Sir,

I am a student of College Of Engineering,Trivandrum (under APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University).I am a first year student. I am drooping the college for the coaching of IIT JEE. and this i had informed to my department HOD. But they are demanding penalty of Rs 50000 for giving me the transfer certificate. Is it correct?? What should i do?? Because i dont like the branch in which i am studying and wanted to join a good institute
Asked 2 years ago in Civil Law from Trivandrum, Kerala
1) ask the college to give in writing the amount demanded f0r issue of transfer certificate .

2) the amount  demanded by college is exorbitant . 

3) college can only collect nominal amount as transfer certificate . certainly not Rs 50,00 

4) issue legal notice to college for issue of transfer certificate 

5) you can pay under protest and file complaint before consumer forum and seek refund with interest 
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
46766 Answers
2767 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, it amounts to bribe ask the college administration to give Transfer Certificate in Writing and if they fail to furnish the TC then you have to lodge a police complaint for demanding money for obtaining TC.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4561 Answers
204 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

This is pure extortion. Refuse to pay the penalty and rather issue a lawyer's notice to the college to demand the transfer certificate. If the certificate is denied by the college then move the High Court which can mend the college.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
23140 Answers
640 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Most colleges affiliated to state run universities levy penalty if a student drops out of the course as it affects their budget. Your seat if it had been given to another student then the year from which you want to drop off will be a loss for the college. 
I am assuming that yours is merit seat, as a result you are being penalized.
If you wish to avoid paying penalty shift to another branch in the same college.
Kiran N. Murthy
Advocate, Bangalore
1017 Answers
91 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This demand by the college is exorbitant and not justifiable.  
Firstly you write to the college authorities seeking transfer certificate, let them commit in writing about he fee to be paid or the reasons for not issuing the TC.
If you are paying the amount demanded, you can pay it by recording your protest and afterwards escalate the matter by filing a consumer complaint case with the local consumer forum demanding refund for the reasons you may state. 
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
36920 Answers
403 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer