Is our marriage in US valid in India
I am on H1 B visa and my spouse in on OPT, residing in the US. We got our marriage registered here and have the marriage certificate. We want to know if this certificate is valid for all legal purposes in India? Or do we need to register it separately in India?
Asked 1 year ago in Family Law from Pune, Maharashtra
Any marriage between Indian citizens, in accordance with the law of the country, to which they are for the time being subject, is valid under the Indian law. If you wish to register it in India then you may do so, but this is not mandatory.
Since you are Indian citizen and Hindu by religion a certificate of marriage registration either under Hindu Marriage Act or under Special Marriage Act is essential.
If not then perform marriage as per Hindu rituals i na temple either in India or in USA.
Hi, if the competent authority issued a marriage certificate then the marriage certificate is also valid in India.
1) you mean to say your marriage is registered in USA?
2) you can register your marriage with the Indian consulate under provisions of Foreign marriages act
3)in the alternative the marriage can be registered in India by the parties either under the Special Marriage Act,1954 or any other Matrimonial enactment made for the registration of the marriage.
4) in case the marriage is not registered under foreign marriages act or is not registered in india Indian court cannot get jurisdiction to adjudicate any dispute between the parties to the marriage
Yes, marriage is registered in the us. Can you please clarify how we can get Indian marriage certificate from Indian consulate here?
Asked 1 year ago
1) the Foreign marriages Act provides for the embassy/high commission official to be entrusted the power to act as the Marriage Officer under the Act, perform,register & issue valid marriage certificate to the parties.
2) visit the indian embassy or consulate .
3) fill in the application form .
Passport of both spouses along with NRIC/EP/WP/SP card.
Documentary evidence of marriage such as wedding card or photographs
Affidavit confirming the marriage duly notarised by a Notary Public The date and place of marriage should be mentioned in the Affidavit.
You have to apply afresh for marriage certificate from the office of marriage registrar in India. I am not sure Indian consulate will be of any help to you.
The certificate from Indian Consulate can be obtained on the basis of the marriage certificate issued by the competent authority in USA.
1. You can marry as per Hindu Marriage Act in the USA by solemnising your marriage in any Hindu temple and get your said marriage registered before the local Indian Consulate,
2. You can register your marriage before the Indian Consulate even without any social marriage,
3. Your marriage as per USA law will nor be valid in India unless endorsed by India Court.
1. Visit your local Indian Consulate,
2. Seek for the authorised officer who notarises affidavits executed abroad by Indians,
3. He is normally assigned with the job of registering marriages.
If you want to get a marriage certificate in India, you have to register for it by filling p the requisite form and complying with the necessary formalities.
Your marriage will be registered under special marriages act.
The complete information including the formats for affidavits can be had from the Local registrar's office where you would like to get the desired certificate.