• How to form Pagdi Tenant Association in Mumbai

Dear Sir,

I am a resident of Dadar Building which is under Pagdi system.

We want form Tenants Association so as to do many things like collections of money for various building related work like repair, cleaning etc.

Further, even we want to discuss Redevelopment options with Landlord and many builders. Association will help us for the same too.

I am not aware under which act we have to register the tenants association and what are the rules and regulations related to the same.

Its very urgent and hence request experts views please.

Bhavesh Shah
Asked 2 years ago in Property Law from MUMBAI, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu
1. First of all there should be formation of the said Association the way any association is formed,

2. After that it should be registered after selecting an office to have its address,

3. There should be objectives specified while  forming the association and rules to be framed,

4. There shall have to selection/election of office bearers of the Association and Bank account shall have to be opened,

5. After the association is formed, members should be enrolled taking fees,

6. There shall have to be regular AGMs of the members and steps proposed to be taken should be passed in the AGM,

7. Engage a local lawyer for this purpose who has adequate expertise in this field. 
Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
18164 Answers
438 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It can be a cooperative housing society  formed by the landlord and called as tenant society. Or the tenants of the like mind can collectively form a society/association, elect among themselves a promoter or the president, who will elect or select other office bearers.Once a committee is formed, the bye laws containing all the issues can be framed including he object of the society to be formed and the same may be registered with the registrar of cooperative housing societies. 
After registration, in the periodical meetings, the issues can be decided and resolved for implementation.
Take the help of a local lawyer and get the formalities completed through him.
T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
34561 Answers
372 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) you would need consent of the tenants to form a association 

2)call a meeting of all tenants 

3) at said meeting resolution should be passed signed all tenants that an association would be formed of all tenants 

4) that bank account would be opened in name of the  tenant  association 

5) that following members shall be office bearers of association and shall operate bank account on behalf of the association and carry on correspondence on behalf of all tenants with the landlord 

6)prepare bye laws for running of the association . 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
44428 Answers
2582 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You have to register the society under registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (XXI of 1860). A minimum of 7 members are required to register a Society. A society shall be registered with the Registrar office.
Registration of society is undertaken by a basic document of Memorandum of understanding and Articles of Association with the specified rules and regulations. Such document consists of Name, occupation and address of all members and with the rights, power, duties and responsibilities of each members and governing body.
After registration of society, you shall apply of PAN CARD if required. Any way each year we have to submit the accounts to the Registrar of societies.
Non-filling of names, addresses and occupation of Governing body members, council, directors, committee entrusted with management of the Society or willfully furnishing false information or return or refusing or neglecting to send audited income and expenditure statement and information are offences of the Society which is penalizable.

Step 1: Prepare a letter and call tenant who like to join your society.
Step 2: Conduct a meeting and take a resolution for starting a society and prepare bye laws for running of the association .
Step 3: File application before Registrar/Assistant Registrar of Societies in your local limit.  
Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
2758 Answers
44 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

A minimum of 10 persons is sufficient to form an association or a society. The registration can be done under Societies Registration Act.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22966 Answers
631 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi, you have to form an association and register before the Co-operative register so that you can form the association.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4535 Answers
202 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer