• Break up of engagement

hi sir. am 27 yrs old ..was in arelation from past 4 yrs and had engagement with the girl but after engagement the girls behaviour totally changed she started abusing me verbally threatening my parents abusing them... am not finding a gud future with her as she is behaving like a abnormal person calling my frnds spying on me ..insulting my colleagues with bad language..suspecting me with my colleages ...coming to my conferences and making a nu sense in front of them ... ..i told her tried to convince her but failed ...we will land up in divorce after marriage ...now my problem is how to break up with her she belongs to sc caste and threating to file a case if i break up...we were physically involved....i lost my reputation my respect coz of the girls behaviour ...am on a verge of sucide...isnt there any way i can get out of this relation ...pls suggest...
Asked 7 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

2 answers received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

1) it is better to call off engagement if you are not compatible

2)return all gifts received at time of engagement

3)you cant be forced to marry her if your fiancee is highly suspicious in nature and keeps on spying on you .

4) your fiancee needs psychiatrist treatment . convince her to visit a psychiatrist .

5)send her email mentioning the reasons why you want to call off your engagement .

6) in the event she files any case contest it on merits

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
85636 Answers
5754 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Give a police complaint about her threats for suicide and filing false complaint against you and family members and also that because of her abnormal and abusive behaviour etc you and your family do not want to go ahead for marriage with her. Thereafter, let the elders of your family call her parents and tell that marriage is not possible.At the most, if any items were given to you by her parents on engagement could be returned to her.

S.P. Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
703 Answers
13 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

. It is better to call off the engagement if you are not too sure about having a happy married life with her before it is too late,

2. First make a police complaint about her threatening to commit suicide if you do not mayy her. This may save you to some extent in case she takes any drastic step,

3. Then talk to her and her parents informing them politely that you do not find that this alliance will work for long for which you want it to be called off,

4. Rest assured that no body can force you to marry her if you are not willing to,

5. Return all the items and money you have taken, if any, duly keeping records of your return & their receipts,

6. She may file a case of having S*X with the promise of marriage but refusing to marry lateron which will be considered as rape. Contest the case on its merit, if filed..

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26315 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. It is in your interest to call of the engagement as soon as possible as you have seen the preview of what lies ahead in store for you if you marry her. You are under no obligation to marry her. Engagement does not bind a person to marry the individual to whom he is engaged. If due to circumstances arising subsequent to the engagement either person feels that marriage will not prove conducive to his/her interests then he/she is at liberty to back out.

2. If you decide to call off the engagement then you should immediately return with receipts all the gifts presented to you by her family.

3. Suicide is not the answer to any problem. If in spite of the engagement being broken by you she continues to harass and humiliate you then you may file a complaint for intimidation against her. You may also file a case for defamation against her.

4. Her being a SC does not confer on her any right which is not available to any person who is not a SC. It is possible that she might file a false case for rape against you. If that happens then contest her case on merits.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30752 Answers
930 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You said you were physical with her. If you back away from marrying her now -engagement or no engagement, you can face rape and cheating charges if the girl files the complaint. Be careful while handling the break up. Try to reach an amicable settlement.

H. S. Thukral
Advocate, New Delhi
619 Answers
204 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Querist

first of all you have to sent an information cum complaint to NCW/NHRC/SSP/Commissioner of Police, regarding all your apprehension and after that you can break off the engagement.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
6177 Answers
293 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Inform your area police SHO and if needed give written complaint, so that you can be alerted in case of a complaint from her side. Since your physical relationship was consensual you can defend it on this ground if in case of an FIR of rape or 493 and 496 of Ipc . As you have mentioned opposite party's behavior and mental condition is unpredictable, any false case under these category can be considered. so as a precaution make a complaint to the police and call of the engagement .

Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1629 Answers
192 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer