• Husband's family asking for money and jewels

Hi i recently got married and have a baby girl... My husbands family looked after all Marriage expense (Around 10 Lakhs).. We didn't even pay a penny.But i was put on 25 Savaran gold ..

I have to do so much adjustments with my in-laws like respect though they dont respect our family that much.....My husband always supporting his family though he doesn't do any harm... They asking me to do 3 time cooking.washing.cleaning house...  I am not willing to do all on my own....

Conversation became thick with foul languages.... I plan to get divorced....But they told me to take back my jewels(25 savarans) My husband returned back the ring we gave him at the marriage..... But asking me the gold they put on marriage (Its about 10 savaran for mangal sutra and bangles ) and marriage expenses..... 

what do i do ? Can i keep it all their jewels and dont want to repay marriage expenses
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Hi, you need not return the jewels and so also the marriage expenses as there is no such law compel the women to pay marriage expenses and return jewels and in turn you have to ask for maintenance of your child and yourself.
1. The gifts/ornaments you received from either side is your property called stridhan.
2. SO legally you are not bound to return the ornaments even if your in laws has gifted you in marriage.
3. Try for mutual divorce first. if husband refuses then file contested divorce suit.
4. You can file case for maintenance and domestic violence as well if there was instances of torture on you.
1) marriage expenses were done  by husband family out of own free will 

2) all gold and other ornaments received by you whether from husband or your parents is your streedhan 

3) file for divorce on grounds of mental cruelty as it is doubtful your husband will agree for divorce by mutual consent unless you pay the marriage expenses 

4) if you want to stay in your matrimonial home then you can file DV case and seek maintenance and other reliefs
dear  client, don't return the ornaments or jewelry as it is your streedhan i.e. which is given to you at the time of marriage in front of all the people present.Marriage expenses were done by the groom party by their own will so no need to return it.You can file a divorce case by mutual consent if your husband is ready to give you divorce or on the grounds of mental cruelty.Also if the inlaws are giving a lot of trouble you can file 498 against them.
Smita Shah
divorce by mutual consent   around 7 months . dont file 498A / Dv if your husband is willing to divorce you by mutual consent .

being told by your in laws   to do household work would not amount   to harassment
Mutual divorce takes time of 7 months to an year. Both of you have to sign a MOU wherein the points mutually agreed have to be detailed like maintenance, compensation, returning the jewels or money, as the case may be, have to be covered and it would be for one time and has to be sumitted to the family court. Also you can agree for not charging dv case against  your husband, if MCD is decreed.
1. Even if you file case of dowry harassment and tortes, you can apply for mutual divorce later on of both of you so agree.
2. Contested divorce does not see light of the day  at least before 5 years.
1) if you want your husband and in laws to suffer then file 498A case for dowry harassment . 

2) mutual consent divorce takes around 7 months . 

3) contested divorce 5 years atleast
1. You are not obligated to return the ornaments which you received from your husband as they constitute your istridhan which you can retain with yourself even if the marriage is terminated.

2. You may file a case for domestic violence against your husband and in-laws to claim protection from further abuse. In addition thereto you may also file for maintenance.

3. If you wish to separate from your husband then convince him to file for mutual divorce. In the event that he dos not agree to mutual divorce you may unilaterally apply for divorce.
You have to file a case for maintenance in the court to claim it. The property owned by your in-laws cannot be claimed by you as your husband has no right therein. You can claim from only your husband.
It is for you to decide how much you have to ask having regard to your needs.
1) you can  get RS 10,000 maintenance if your husband is earning Rs 30,000 per month . 

2) you have no right on your in laws property 

3)it is for you to take a call how much alimony you should seek
Think over and decide the amount of alimony you are looking for from your husband.  Property in the name of your in-laws can not be claimed by you.  You can get maintenance from your husband.
1) yes . you are highly qualified . you have worked in past as professor you may not get maintenance 

2) madam be reasonable . how can a man who is earning Rs 30,000 a month pay you Rs 1 crore as alimony . 

3) if his salary increases you can ask for enhancement in maintenance
better arrive at an amicable settlement with your husband . wife who has been working in past and his highly qualified court may not give you maintenance
madam but your husband income is only Rs 30,000 a month . with your qualifications you can get a good job too . you have worked as professor in the past
contact a local lawyer . considering your husband limited income you have to adopt a realistic approach . in addition you have worked as professor in the past . you wont get a substantial amount as alimony . .