• Petrol pump menace - smell

I live in a residential zone in nagpur.
Adjoining to our house is a petrol pump . pump faces the main road .
Everyday when the containers of the pump are filled , the typical strong smell of petrol spreads all around the surrounding area. Its very irritating and suffocating.
some residents in nearby area have asthama and related respiratory problems.
This is really a nuisance to us . Some times due to underground leakage , petrol gets mixed in well water .
Please suggest some effective way to check this problem
Asked 8 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

6 Answers

complain to BPCL or petroleum co that owns petrol pump to take adequate safeguards. if no action taken file Writ petition in high court for shifting of petrol pump

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89022 Answers
6344 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Talk to the petrol bunk owner and try to resolve the issue amicably. If the problem still persists complain to municipal authorities about the nuisance you are suffering on account of the neighbouring petrol bunk and also how the licence to run the petrol bunk in a residential area was given by municipality/corporation and to take suitable action against the petrol bunk owner. Inspite of all these measures if there is no result, then file a writ petition in high court for shifting of petrol bunk.

Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
4343 Answers
258 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Issue a lawyer's notice to petrol pump owner to take the necessary steps to stop the petroleum smell form spreading around.

2. If he does not comply with notice then move to High Court whereupon High Court will do the needful.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30763 Answers
972 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Normally permission for constructing petrol pump in residential area is not given by the petroleum ministry. They have a norm to be follwed in this regard,

2. Send a legal notice to the Petrol pump owner to either shift his pump to a non redsidental area or take necessary arrangement to ensure that there is no smell of petrol emiting from his pump,

3. Send a copy of the letter to the petroleum ministry and ministry of environment.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26791 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Send the legal notice to the petroleum owner to shift his pump from the residents area.

2. Otherwise file a writ petition to the high court for shifting the petrol pum

Vineeta Rawat
Advocate, Faridabad
5 Answers

4.0 on 5.0

query is resolved

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89022 Answers
6344 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer