• Marriage visa in India


I am an American and will soon be marrying an Indian in India. I obviously want to be able to live in india and work there too. What would be the requirements to be able to live and get a full time job there?
Asked 4 months ago in Civil Law

Ask a question and receive multiple answers in one hour.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

8 Answers

As per the visa manual, tourist visa can be converted to X2 visa when the marriage takes place in India and gets registered within the validity of the present tourist visa.


2)the conversion of tourist visa to X2 would be allowed even if the marriage takes place on foreign soil.



you  needs work visa to work in india as  you have foreign citizenship . work visa cannot be granted for ordinary , clerical or routine jobs . applicant should be highly skilled and qualified professional




Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89083 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Under Section 5(1)(c) of the Citizenship Act, 1955 you are eligible for Indian citizenship after stay in India  for seven years subsequent to marrying Indian national.

There is no spouse visa (as available in U.S.) for a foreigner marrying Indian national but you can get X visa and stay for a longer period. You also eligible for opening account and obtain pan. But you are not allowed to work or do business. For work you need to apply for employment visa on following conditions…

  1. You are highly skilled or qualified professional.
  2. Your salary should be more than $25000/- p.a.
  3. Job should be ordinary for which Indian workers are available.
  4. There other conditions you need to comply.

Ravi Shinde
Advocate, Hyderabad
3153 Answers
42 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

An Employment Visa is granted to foreigners desiring to come to India for the purpose of employment, subject to
fulfillment of the following conditions:
The applicant is a highly skilled and/or qualified professional, who is being engaged or appointed by a
company/ organization/ industry/ undertaking in India on contract or employment basis.

The foreign national seeks to visit India for employment in a company/ firm/organization
registered in India or for employment in a foreign company/ firm/organization engaged for execution of
some project in India.

The foreign national being sponsored for an Employment Visa in any sector should draw a salary in excess of US$ 25,000 per annum.

The Employment Visa must be issued from the country of origin or from the country of domicile of the foreigner provided the period of permanent residence of the applicant in that particular country is more than 2 years.

A foreigner coming to India for employment  can be granted Employment visa with a validity up to two years or
the term of assignment, whichever is less, with multiple entry facility.

The foreign national may fill in the application online on the website https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html . The applicant can apply 120 days in advance prior to expected date of arrival in India.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79241 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- You can registered the marriage in India under the Special Marriage Act , for which your presence of 30 days is necessary at the time of registration of marriage. 

- However, the one who is residing in India, can apply after taking your documentary proof in your absence before the marriage Registrar. 

- Further, many US company is working in India. hence you can join the said company whose branch unit is functioning in INDIA. 

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10324 Answers
124 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1.For coming to India you shall have to first obtain Visa and get married.


2. Thereafter keep extending the Visa on the ground that you have been married to an Indian in India.


3. While staying in India, apply for and manage a job.


4. Keep extending your Visa as long as you wish to on the ground of your marriage in India and also employment with Indian organisation. 

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26792 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to take relevant work visa for the same and proceed with the same

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28103 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear sir please write specifically about you to whom you are I mean women or man. Further if man there in which state in india you belong to. Please do furnish complete information. I will assure to advice you properly.







G. L. Soni
Advocate, New Delhi
87 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no concept if marriage visa in India. You will have to visit India on a tourist visa which can be later converted into a Entry visa (X) visa. 

There is no specific visa called Spouse visa for India. For any foreigners married to Indians, you can get an Entry visa (X) through any of the FRROs in India.

This visa doesn’t give you any rights to be employed or do business, but you can stay for a long term in India on this visa. And you can open a bank account, as well as apply for a PAN card and Aadhar card. And after being married for more than 2 years, you can apply for OCI Card. 


Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
6095 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer