• Any way to change name in educational certificates in Kerala?

Dear Sir ,

My name is Shameer Babu . I am from the state Kerala . I have changed my name from Sameer to Shameer Babu 6 months before  legally by affidavit and advertisement in public gazette . I have got the new name printed  in election card , driving licence,passport  etc with the help of the affidavit . But when I approached the university to re issue the degree certificate with the changed name they refused to do so . 

Now it is really a problem when applying to job interviews abroad . The certificates will be old name and the CV will be in new name . 

I would like to get my educational certificates with the changed name . is there any way to do so with a court order or anything ? if so how to proceed .

Waiting your valuable reply .
Asked 1 year ago in Civil Law from United Kingdom
1) it is not necessary for you to change your name in your educational certificates 

2) at time when you passed out from school your name was Sameer which is duly reflected in your educational certificates 

3) you have to rely upon publication in official gazette to show that you have subsequently after passing out changed your name to Shammer babu 

4) you should not have any problems in your job interviews as you have followed the procedure for change in name 
No need to change the name in the Educational certificate. Apply for one and same certificate before Village officer with the help old certificate and papaer publications.It will help you in future .
1. You cannot change your name in your education certificates from a retrospective effect. Unless you are able to prove to the university that the name which you desire to incorporate in your educational certificates was your name as on the date on which the said certificate was issued, it will not accede to your request.

2. Your only hope is a court order. If you are able to prove the necessity of changing the name in the  certificates to the court then it may pass an order directing the university to change the name.
Hi, you have to file a suit for deceleration before the jurisdictional court for change of name  in which state and SSLC Board, P.U. Board and university has to made party.   
Hi, thank you pls check in the Kaanoon it self you will find the advocate.
1) time taken for disposal would depend upon pendency of cases in court wherein suit is filed 

2) you can   search in kaanoon   website for lawyers in kerala 

3) in my opinion it is not necessary for you to change your name in certificates 
What is purpose for filing a suit if you have a bypass available for getting the remedy infront of you.One and same certificate from Village officer is enough for your future needs. If you get a certificate of Sameer and sameer babau is one and same person then  it is a valid document  for your identity. 
Please remember that the names printed in the educational certificate until it was erroneous and pointed out within the time limit for the purpose, no other application shall be entertained by the educational authorities for changing the name in the educational certificates. 
The educational authorities may not be able to issue a fresh educational certificate until and unless a court order specifying or instructing the authorities to do so and the court may not entertain such suits in view of the nature of change in the name. 
1) you wont get court order in span of 1 year 

2) it all depends upon pend ency of court cases in district court wherein you file your suit 
You file a  suit before high court for getting a direction to change the name in educational certificate.order will get with in 3 months 
1. You have two options before you,

2. Either send copy of your affidavit for changing your name along with your educational certificates which will affirm that your said name has undergone a change, Or,

3. File a declaratory suit praying for a declaration that you have already changed your name through affidavit and will be henceforth be known as per your new name and you should also pray therein for a direction upon the educational institutes and Municipal Corporation to reissue the educational certificates and birth certificate in your new name.
1. Nobody can tell how long it will take for the court to decide the case as the court has to function within its resources and capacity. If there is a huge pendency of cases in the concerned court then the disposal would take longer than usual. In the ballpark estimate it should take around a year or thereabout.

2. The affidavits can be executed by you but such affidavits are normally not assigned any importance by the prospective employers. It is the discretion of the employer to accept or reject the affidavit.