- Occupancy Certificate evidences the completion of the building as per the approved plan and compliance of local laws.
- If the builder is unable to obtain the occupancy certificate, it means that the builder has violated building law or deviated from Construction Plan, and further it is illegal to occupy in a building or apartment that doesn’t have an occupancy certificate.
- Further, It is illegal to occupy in a building or apartment that doesn’t have an occupancy certificate. Buildings without OCs are not given a water connection and are charged a higher property tax.
- Hence, in the absence of an Occupancy Letter, you should not accept the possession letter from the builder.
- Further, you should not pay the full amount before handing over the OC to you.
- Further, as per RERA,, A builder cannot give possession to buyers without OC
- Further for the delay in possession of the flat , the builder is under obligation to pay 10% interest for the period of delay, and even you came in possession then also you can claim from him.
Further, you can also file your complaint before the Consumer court on the ground of deficiency of services, and to claim compensation as well.