• Legal consultation against girlfriend's threat to commit suicide

I was in realationship with a girl from past 7 years. It was mostly over phone only we spoke, we had no sex or live in realtionship. Now she is threatening to commit suicide if I don't marry her. I had never promised her to marry her or ever used it as a condition for soliciting sex or any other favours. Whatever physical romance we had was non penetrative and also concentual. I had not forced, enticed or coerced her to perform any physical acts with me, whatever little happened over the course of last 7 years was with mutual consent but now she is claiming that she was promised marriage from my end and if I don't comply to her demand of marrying her she will commit suicide. I have phone conversations recording where she can clearly be heard that she will die "go off" "not live anymore" in case I refulse to accept her demands. Morever she is also not allowing me to leave Bangalore and travel to my hometown as she is imagining that I will go to my hometown & get married to someone secretly.

What are the legal remedies actions or course that I can take to protect myself.
Asked 3 years ago in Criminal Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

9 Answers

File NC with local police station regarding girl friend constant threats to commit suicide 


2) you had consensual sex with no promise of marriage 


3) no need to bow down to pressure tactics 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
95146 Answers
7597 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Convince her for consultation and take her or make her talk to some therapist if not then go to police station and make complaint about her behaviour so if in future she does such things you will not face any problem as you already warn the police and there are chances that police make her go to sucide prevention center. You can also make call to sucide prevention center and ask them to talk with her

Sanjna Vaishnav
Advocate, Gandhinagar
57 Answers

Not rated

Hi, It is better you can lodge police complaint against her as she threatening to commit suicide.  

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
5605 Answers
336 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

She cannot hold you back forcibly at Bangalore.

She cannot keep 24 hours vigil over your movements hence you cannot say that she is not allowing you to travel back to your hometown. 

If she is blackmailing or pressurises you with suicidal threats, you can issue a legal notice drafted by you itself  and sent to her by registered post to her address stating that your relationship with her was only for the sake of friendship and not with any other intention especially that you never ever promised her that you will marry you even one day during the past seven years.

You can also state that by forcing you to marry her clearly indicates that she is indulging in an illegal act of pressurising you to either marry her against your willingness or to extort money from you in the name of the friendly relationship and that if she do not stop in such indulgence you would be forced to contemplate legal action against her either through police or through court of law to restrain her and also to face her legal consequences for her acts against you. 

You can endorse a copy of this notice to the nearest police station with a request to the police to take note of her attitude to illegally force you to marry her  and if not she would commit suicide, hence seek protection from her through police 


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
85348 Answers
2227 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can give NC in nearest police station against her for threating you for attempt to suicide.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12933 Answers
256 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

1. Voluntarily indulging in sexual relationship by two adults , without promise of marriage, does not attract any penal wrong. 

2. If you anticipate that she may end her life, then lodge a Police complaint in the jurisdictional Police Station, stating that you should not be held responsible if she ends her life. This step can be taken only if the situation goes out of control.


Shashidhar S. Sastry
Advocate, Bangalore
5173 Answers
315 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Legally, You can save yourself from all these threatening and alarming situation by intimating this to the nearest police station as "apprehension report-exclusion from crime report/intimation report". You can protect yourself by stating these facts on an application and post the copy of the same to the nearest police station, the Commissioner of Police, District Collector and Home Minister of the State. Also intimate the same to her parents and relatives. 


Morally, if you weren't inclined you should not have had proceeded with the relationship with her. If you can't commit then be brave enough to stand for it. This can keep relationship open-ended and may sustain faith in it, without fear of such legal intricacies. It is advisable to mutate the relationship with her if you have tiniest inclination to be with her. 

Pooja Ashar
Advocate, Ahmedabad
235 Answers
4 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can file a police complaint to that effect explaining her threats to you. That will help you in future

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
32146 Answers
183 Consultations

4.1 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Be aware that all Indian laws are in favour of unmarried girls and under political and social pressures the police may support her allegations. Better to avoid her and stay in peace.


Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6136 Answers
487 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer