• Marriage after engagement

Marriage after engagement
Asked 2 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

12 Answers

Dear Sir, I can't understand your problem....Plz explain to us.

Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
5454 Answers
311 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

What's your question? 

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28106 Answers
93 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

What is your query?

Do you want to cancel the marriage after engagement"

If so you can involve the elders of both the sides and communicate your decision to cancel the marriage  for the reasons you may rely upon.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
79250 Answers
1618 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

What is your query 


no details mentioned 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89092 Answers
6362 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Refund cost if you call off engagement, says SC – FIR Quashed.

New Delhi: After three years of litigation, a Delhi man's family realised on Friday that breaking a marriage alliance after enjoying the engagement party made them liable to reimburse the cost.
In 2012, a government doctor finalized the marriage of his son, who was in the real estate business, with a girl from Thane in Maharashtra. The 'roka' (engagement ceremony) took place in Delhi on June 8, 2012. The girl's parents spent lavishly in entertaining the prospective groom's family and friends.

But the boy's family later called off the alliance claiming that the girl's family had suppressed facts about her. Infuriated by the turn of events, the girl's parents filed a case under Section 420 (cheating) of IPC against the boy and his father in Thane.

The father and son sought anticipatory bail from a Thane court, which after mediation proceedings asked them to pay Rs 1.50 lakh to the girl's parents towards the expenses they incurred on the ceremony. The boy's family claimed they had spent Rs 4.50 lakh for the ceremony. But the trial court asked them to compensate the girl's family.


The boy's family paid up but the girl's family did not withdraw the case. The boy moved the Bombay HC seeking quashing of the case. The HC refused, saying a case of cheating was made out.


Appearing for the boy's family in the SC, senior advocate Rana Mukherjee told a bench of Justices J S Khehar and Arun Mishra that once the girl's family was compensated for their expenses, there was no question of any cheating in the matter, which was a case of a prospective matrimonial alliance going sour.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6069 Answers
392 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

What is the problem i mean you don't want to go ahead?? You may do so.

Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13846 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your question is not specific. 

However general law in this regard is stated. Engagement is not a contract. So it does not legally bound to marry either party to marry other. It can be broken on reasonable ground or even on the change of mind. 

In case of it is broken due to some valid  and justifiable cause attributable to the other party,  the party broken it are not liable to any damage or reimburse any part of engagement expenditures. 

If it is broken only  due to Chane of mind without any valid reason,  the other party may on certain circumstances claim reasonable  reimbursement of engagement expenditures. 

Gift received should be returned in any cases. 

Contact if you any further queries. 

Kallol Majumdar
Advocate, Kolkata
2837 Answers
14 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

What is the query please?

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26800 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your question isn't complete. Please elaborate your query. 

Pooja Ashar
Advocate, Ahmedabad
215 Answers
4 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

- Pls elaborate your query .

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
10324 Answers
124 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Please provide some more clarity on your query.



Bipasha Mukherjee Roy
Advocate, Bangalore
11 Answers

4.8 on 5.0

pls post your query in detail. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19032 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer