There lots of contradictory judgements in maintenance case.
Wife is not entitled to any maintenance or relief if she withdraw herself from society of husband without any justifiable cause.
For payment of maintenance one's source of earning and capabilities to earn are considered.
After retirement one is not supposed to have the same source of earning. Nor he has that much capabilities to earn money.
Further if you have grown up child , he or she is also liable to look after their parents.
So court can not force you to earn money and pay maintenance after you attain 60 years of age. Court can consider other sources of income you may have like from property or from other sources.
One thing I should tell you that if you go through various judgements of lower courts high court and even Supreme Court you will find how they contradicts each other. Lots of favourable judgements and unfavorable too in similar cases.
So it has become more uncertain what judgement you will get.
Some basic proposition of law in this regard are briefly mentioned here for defence.
1. An educated and /or working woman is not entitled to any maintenance.
2. Wife is under obligations to live with her husband in his home and under same roof except in case of distinct and specific misconduct on part of the husband. The marital obligation has been further buttressrf by clear statutory recognition by section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act.
3. Sec 125 clearly disallows maintenance claim by wife where she leaves her husband without any sufficient and justifiable cause.
4. If divorce is granted due to the fault of wife husband can protest maintenance payment by seeking application of natural justice.
5. Wife right to share marital house is provided in DV Act only. If there is any domestic violence caused to your wife then only this right can be enforced based of circumstances prevailing.
5. As per Supreme Court guidelines maintenance amount can be sanctioned by court up-to s maximum of 25 % of net home take salary or earning.
6. Most important but not the least, law must be used as a means of shield not of sword.
Now most important thing is you must engage one good lawyer in this field who can strongly agree in court either in lower court or in higher court with citation of favorable judgements of both high courts and Supreme Court in similar type cases.
Argument with citation and proper explanation of relevant law position can only help in getting a favorable judgements particularly areas where most laws are women centric.
It my advise search for good advocate, be mentally ready to challenge the lower court unfavorable judgements if any.
For any further clarification you may contact here.