• Are spinsters not allowed to get their male friends in house

We are 4 gals staying in a flat. We all are working gals. We dnt play loud music, party, or do any such activity that will create nuisance and disturb families/society members.
whole day we are not at home, we stay like normal families, once in a while our friends come in and my finance comes in.
People over here spread rumors about us, and now we my fiance cannot park his bike inside society,if something happens in society we are blamed. Is this correct
we cannot raise our voice or fight coz we are bachelors,
we cannot play loud music coz we are bachelors however families can play loud TV music, fight etc
we cannot roam around freely coz people will start judging us
We cannot roam with a guy even if they are a family

i wanna know is their any law that says bachelors cannot do all of the above?
Asked 2 months ago in Property Law from Pune, Maharashtra
Religion: Hindu

There is no such law prohibiting spinsters from bringing in their boy friends at home 


2) if any parking slot has been allotted to flat owner then as tenants you can park your vehicle in said slot 


3) you can play music in privacy of your flat 


4) you are at liberty to roam around with guy 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
74617 Answers
4462 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You can file a Police FIR, requesting investigation and charge-sheet, for offences like Molestation, Intimidation, Breach of Trust, Mischief etc.... against the person/s, supported with all relevant supporting Documents, Evidences & Witnesses.

Housing Society has no legal right to refuse any Bachelor Tenants /Paying Guests. IF Society refuses THEN it is doing a Criminal offence:

2. IF the Police does not take action, THEN you can file private criminal case u/s 156(3) Cr.P.C., in the local Magistrates court, seeking directions to the Police to investigate and file charge sheet.

Hemant Agarwal
Advocate, Mumbai
4363 Answers
23 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

hi, i can understand the problem you girls are facing at Pune, i know because i was also a law student in Pune and lived there for 7 years we also had our accommodation at apartment and some aunty uncle judge us in very bad manner something if any of our female friend comes to our flat then entire society make a gathering and knock our room and asked that is going on i side the flat bla bla ....


well so far your question is concerned, you have all right to do so and you can sent a letter to nearest police station for precautionary measures, once a flat is taken on rent the  u might have given a separate parking and use that parking for your own use nobody has right to interfere in your life.

but so far society is concerned they get it registered under society act if somebody make complaint the ask them to show their society bylaw.

but you will face a practical problem once you raise your voice the all the marathi will complaint against you to their owner and the owner will ask you to vacate the flat.

i am sorry to say but no law can protect you from this prejudice and discrimination.

as per law of tenancy you can be evicted except prior notice.

Atul Shahi
Advocate, Allahabad
159 Answers
1 Consultation

4.0 on 5.0

1. Well, law and social norms tied by age old culture and customs often don't go hand by hand. 

2. There is no law which prohibits two adults not bound by marriage to saty under the roof.  

3. However your landlord has every right to put in place such restrictions while giving you the property under rent but not the members of society. 

4. So if your landlord doesn't have any such objection you can take recourse to law to let your partner in. However to avoid social ostracism its advisable to first marry him and then pass your rest of life together. 

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
19614 Answers
278 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

As per the Indian Constitution , Article 14 to 21 you have full fundamental rights to live your life as per your wish. and no body can deny or restrict that.


Especially Article 14 give as Full Rights


14. Equality before law The State shall not deny to any person equality before the law or the equal protection of the laws within the territory of India Prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
9719 Answers
80 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. There is no such prohibition;

2. If there is then the same is illegal;

3. Hopefully the society has not made such a prohibition in the society bye-laws;

4. Consult a local lawyer, discuss full facts and take steps.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1917 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hi Thanks for the question.


To answer you there is no law that bachelors can't do any of the above mentioned by you. It is the mentality of public at large to blame bachelors on these issues. It has become a common problem now a days to target bachelors in societies. But you are helpless, as if you raise the issue with the president of the society its highly unlikely that they will support you because they are concerned about other families staying as they are in majority. your situation is understandable you can only talk to the society president and raise concern but it won't be of much help.



Varnika Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
315 Answers
2 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


You are hereby suggested to be bold and strong. You have to all the rights to live a dignified life and learn to live with dignity and oppose all the behaviors restrict your dignified life. You are hereby informed that there is not such law which prohibits dignified life of any citizen. Our constitution guarantee fundamental rights to all. You are hereby suggested to do all the activities which gives comfort of listening music, visiting and inviting friends, walking, jogging etc. without inflicting harms to anyone and do report any abnormalities to police. 

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, NEW DELHI
4463 Answers
9 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

you can do whatever you want giving due respect to the applicable laws (legal and social),


Suneel Moudgil
Advocate, Haryana
2076 Answers
3 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

Law does not seperate any spinster or single from other members of our society.

If any objection is raised by society members directly complain to police first.

You can not stop others judging you.

Similarly you can also judge others. 

All these should not cause disturbance to your peaceful living in your residence, if there is something like this you feel, then you can take legal recourses against that .

Kallol Majumdar
Advocate, Kolkata
2552 Answers
4 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

Now the self rules are being framed illegally; and never approved by Courts or existing laws. You may fight collectively or file a suit of permanent injunctions them all not to interfere with your private life.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
5291 Answers
172 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

there is no such law making any distinction between society members and their licensees

however the licensees have to follow the society bye laws provided they are not unreasonable

if you are facing the issues described in your query then it is time for you to vacate the premises and find another good place where people dont judge

Yusuf Rampurawala
Advocate, Mumbai
5115 Answers
31 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

See bachelor's have all the right in the society in case any body is harassing you a police complaint can be made. Further no one can cause nuisance and disturbance steps against all can be taken.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
24354 Answers
96 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no law restricting the bachelors whether boys or girls to live together in a rented flat.

The association cannot object the owner to rent out the premises to bachelors.

If the society restrains the tenant from getting the possession of property then appropriate recourse can be sought from the court. 

The MCS Act does have not provisions for “Prohibited & Restricted” areas in the Society premises.

The Mg. Committee (MC) has compulsorily to work under the provisions of the MCS Act and .IF.

The MCS Act does not provide for restrictions on “Tenants”,

THEN “Bachelor Tenant” cannot be prohibited (banned) from residing in a Society, even if for whatever reasons.

The inbuilt craving to formulate Laws to govern & control other members, lead to ignorant MC’s and GB General Body (GB), to pass “illegal & invalid” resolutions, for “Prohibiting /Banning Bachelor Tenant”, from staying in a Society. Such “selective & prohibitive” provisions /bye-laws created / amended under a “bye-law” approved /passed by the GB, is also “illegal & invalid”, leading to animosity and discontent in the Society, which also means “failure of the Cooperative Movement”.

AS IT IS, the Society or the MC or the GB is a “nobody” or say “does not have the “Capacity or Capability” to decide the legalities of such things for which there are various Laws available.

The Society MC or the GB is not “Lok Sabha” members or Parliamentarians who are empowered to pass Laws.


You can object the society's restriction to this and can even issue a legal notice to the society or to the members who harass you on this.


If some anxious members indulge in any illegal activity like spreading false rumours or trying to create nuisance or insult then you may even lodge a criminal complaint against them with the local police for initiating proper legal action against them.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
64570 Answers
836 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You are living in wrong society otherwise you are free to do everything. Agsisnt any false rumours, character assassination, complain to police. As much you will bear, people will take advantage of your modesty. Ignore all and do whatever not doing now. 

Law is same for all whether girl or boy, married/unmarried. 

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
18583 Answers
22 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

It's illegal. You don't have to worry about anything. You can file complaint to dy registrar if you are being harassed by society. You can file police complaint if they physically stop you. There is no law against bachelor it's the society which does moral policing and make ilegal laws

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
18700 Answers
34 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

You can play the music in the flat without disturbing neighbors. You can conduct party in your flat without making any nuisance to the residents. Slander is a type of defamation, a false statement communicated to another person that damages another’s reputation by exposing them to disrespect or ridicule from other people.  You have every right to live with all dignity. They are outraging your modesty by spreading such rumors.  You can file a complaint and register an FIR U/S 354 along with 509 against your neighbors for their verbal and physical abuses.

There is no law prohibiting spinsters from bringing their boyfriends to home.

You please do understand that the problems arousing surroundings you only due to the difference of generation gap. The two generations adopted different attitudes. Changes taking place when older and younger people are unable to comprehend each other because of their different experiences, attitudes, lifestyles and activities. Generation gap has been considered as an unavoidable obstacle for the communications between the young and the old ones. These conflicts are normally arising as a result of urbanization, industrial development and family mobility. The physical separation of the youngsters and the elders has led to a lack of consistent intergenerational connection and a rise in misperceptions and misunderstanding between the young and old generation. Adults today know more about change than any previous generations. So we are set apart both from earlier generations and from the young who have rejected the past and all that their elders are making of the present.

Ajay N S
Advocate, Ernakulam
3442 Answers
67 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. No there is no such law which restrict bachelors.

2. You can make complaint to owner of your flat and society secretary for this discrimination.

3. Society cannot restrict your fiance to meet you when you are in your flat. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
8007 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There are no such specific laws restricting / restraining spinsters from accompanying their male friends in house.

Since it is your fiance, he can come and park his vehicle in the area demarcated for parking to the said flat.

If it is objected by any one, you can raise it with your flat owner.

As long as you are not disturbing the other occupants and stay within your limits no one can object for your personal life.

There are no specific laws prohibiting spinsters / bachelors to do or not to do certain things, but your life style should not go beyond society's norms.


S Srinivasa Prasad
Advocate, Hyderabad
1946 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Look, people judge you.. this is upon you. Don't pay any heed to such people who unnecessarily judge others.

There is no law that Bachelors cannot do anything which a married woman can.

So live freely, do whatever you want to do 


Rahul Jatain
Advocate, Rohtak
2474 Answers
4 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

You can do all of the above.

In case you are harassed, take help of the Police. The last resort would be approaching the Court. I think talking it out with the RWA is going to help you.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
8957 Answers
154 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Has the society passed any resolution with respect to this decision of parking?.If they have passed a resolution you can challenge the resolution in the cooperative court by filing dispute. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
15611 Answers
7 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

There is no law which prohibits bachelors from inviting people to their home. Don't pay heed to them. If they intimidate you in any manner, call the police.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5448 Answers
61 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

  1. As per the information mentioned in the present query, makes it clear that the law is for the protection of privacy on any individual irrespective of their age, caste, marital status etc.
  2. I would like to apprise you that there is no law which can bind you to live and move freely until and unless you are not doing anything which against the law.
  3. And as per the information mentioned above, it is only you who has been abiding with the law of tort and not creating any nuisance like others who call themselves sophisticated and society friendly.
  4. Now, if you happen to have continue harassment then please approach police or file a civil suit from injunctions against your life style from all in the society.

Sanjay Baniwal
Advocate, South Delhi
5209 Answers
12 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Well, there are no such laws. It is just people who are a hindrance. Therefore talk to the owner and the manager of the society.

Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
8030 Answers
15 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer