• Change of address after marriage

Do I need to change my address and surname in pan, adhar ,voter and ration card after marriage. As I got employed in government organization before I got married so I have my parental address with my employer and all my official documents including my bank accounts bear my parental address other than my matrimonial address. Also I want all my official correspondence to be done on my parental address. 1. I want to know whether I can retain my parental address in the above documents . 
2.whether this can create any issues in proving my marriage with my husband and relation with my daughter. 
3. Whether my daughter can get adhar card and ration card with her father's address on it as I have a different address from my husband
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

11 Answers

Your name is your own choice. The law does not mandate a man or a woman to change it necessarily. Hence you do not have to change your name in any official documentation like Aadhar card or PAN card after marriage.


The address also does not need to be changed, its your sole discretion, yes daughter can get fathers address with documents of father

Aveek Bose
Advocate, Kolkata
1222 Answers
9 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1. Yes ni need to change the same. 

2. No

3. Yes she can

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
28570 Answers
101 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. By marrying there is no such law that you may have to lose your individual identity, you can very well retain your parental address on all the documents held by you, there is no law restricting you to use your parental address after your marriage.

2.  Nothing.

Your marriage with your husband can be proved by other documents namely invitation card, marriage certificate, any other relevant documents.

3. Yes, of course, she can have her father's address on her own identity cards.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
80016 Answers
1674 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can retain your parental surname. 

Avik Ghosh
Advocate, Kolkata
6 Answers
1 Consultation

4.8 on 5.0

It is not necessary to change your surname after marriage 


2) you should change your address to that of your matrimonial home after marriage 


3) marriage certificate is sufficent to prove your marriage 


4) it would not create problems in proving your relationship with daughter 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
89849 Answers
6516 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. you can retain your parental address, no illegality,

2. no, address alone won't create any issues

3. yes, she can have a aadhar card address based on her father's aadhar card

Suneel Moudgil
Advocate, Panipat
2372 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

1. Yes you can retain your parental address though she address is for correspondence so if it is feasible there you can keep same in record. Though for voter ID card and rasan card you need to change it.

2. No as such address is no proof of marriage.

3. Yes she can get address of her father.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It is not necessary to change surname or address


Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19036 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. You can retain your parental address in all your documents and also can keep your name unchanged after your marriage if you so desire.


2. Changing or not changing the name after marriage is not at all related to relationship with the husband or daughter.


3. Your daughter will have the address in her Aadhar card showing where she is actually staying.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26833 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Yes , not necessary to change surname in i'ds.

Marriage certificate is suffice of marriage proof.

Your daughter will have her father address and it should be otherwise future complication will arise.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1. Yes you can retain parental address in your documents if you don't want to change to matrimonial address. 

2. You can change name on your Adhaar as wife of or you can change address in your adhar card only.

3. Yes she can avail adhar Card and ration card with her father's address. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10687 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer