My cousins good friend has started troubling him after their break up, resulting in us cancelling his wedding elsewhere. She is threatening of suicide if he marries someone else. We have already cancelled his marriage once and wants to know how can we get rid of this problem. She has few messages from him which she may use against him. Should we go to police for help? What could be it's repercussions on us?
Asked in Civil Law from Indore, Madhya Pradesh
1) don't bow down to threats
2) record threats received by girl
3) you have not mentioned what are contents of the messages which you apprehend girl will use against him
4) it appears girl needs to consult s psychiatrist and may need medical treatment as she may be suffering from mental illness
5) cousin should not make any promise of marriage to the girl
6) you have not mentioned whether your cousin had an affair with girl under promise of marriage
7) consult a local lawyer
What is the content of the message?
A promise by one person to marry another is not binding unless and until that other also promises to marry the first person.There can be no action for breach of promise unless a contract to marry has been made.
>> Abusive women make a lot of emotionally charged claims, but rarely have the facts to support them. So wait and Record the threatening message from her.
>> File a complaint against her threat before police station (Not Now. If need). filing the complaint creates a record should she ever decide to pull the same stunt again.
>> Consult a local Lawyer.
1. Lodge a police complaint about her threat of committing suicide if your friend ever marries. this will insulate him to some extent, if she commits suicide later on,
2. Time is the best healer and wait for some time till she gets over the shock of the break up,
3. if possible, shift your friend out of the reach of her and to another city/town.
1. Do not give in to these intimidatory tactics as there will soon be demands of money.
2. If she has threatened to commit suicide then intimate police about her threats as this will come to your rescue if she commits suicide or lodges a case against you.
3. Whatever be the tone and tenor of messages by your cousin, he should take pro-active steps to obviate the consequences which may ensue to him if she files false cases against him. In the event she lodges a case for rape or cheating your cousin may be arrested and prosecuted, to preempt which he should take bail.
You must go to police that the girl is giving threats of suicide and let the police handle her. You won't have any repercussions since you never promised marriage or did any sexual act took place between them?
She may lodge a case for cheating against your cousin for having had sex with her in the promise of marriage and not willing to proceed.This will be termed mas an offence under section 417 IPC on conviction imprisonment of two years or more. However your cousin can rush to the police station with a complaint against her for threatening him with suicide and other cruel acts including false complaints against him. This may save him from being impleaded unnecessarily on a false case by her.
first of all try to settled the matter amicably with her, if not possible then send an information cum complaint only for record to National Commission for Women and commissioner of Police or SSP of area and wait and watch her action.
your cousin may also file a complaint against her before court for blackmailing but it may be possible that she file a case against him regarding false promise of marriage and rape.
you may contact over the phone after pay the consultation fee which is very nominal.
Advocate, New Delhi
They have not had any sexual relationship (intercourse), just few hugs and kisses.
The problem is he doesn't remember what type of messages he has sent. Messages like I miss you, flirting messages etc. He was literally taking it as casual relationship and according to him even kisses and hugs happened because she insisted and tried.
Her brother has left her family and my cousin being a good Samaritan told her that he will be with her always, he will stand up for her and will get her married. Even her mother agrees that he did mention that he will do all the work in her marriage.
We are worried if we lodge a police complaint, they(police) will start harassing us as well. Also till now only her parents are involved, once police starts doing rounds of her home probably she will take adverse action and attempt suicide.
We have cut off all communication with her and my cousin has changed his mobile number as well. She is getting desperate now and has started approaching our family members and is seeking their pardon for her acts.
Asked 2 years ago
1) your cousin need not worry. He did not have any sex with her under promise of marriage
2) he only agreed to help her get married and not marry her
3) your cousin has rightly changed his number and not maintaining any contact with her
4) don't file any police complaint now
1. If you do not go to police, then she can lodge police complaint against cousin,
2. If you go to police then she can commit suicide,
3. Your cousin shall have to chose between the above two options.
The facts can be different from concocted stories to be narrated by them before police. In the event of any complaint with the police it is better to enquire the nature of complaint as well as the mood of police inquiring the matter with the help of local lawyer, obtain Anticipatory bail and then face the investigation session before police.
Ask him not to give anything in writing committing to their relationship or an assurance for marriage before the police. They cannot put pressure on him, if they do so the police can be held responsible for human rights violation offences.
1. She may attempt suicide even without a police complaint by you, in which event your cousin and his family members may find it difficult to wriggle out of the clutches of law. So the best course of action would be to lodge the complaint as a preemptive measure against the extreme step which she may tale.
2. Unless the messages contained a promise of marriage your cousin should be able to impeach her claim in the court.