• I need divorce certificate

My sister is a divorcee and I want to get her divorce certificate. Please let me know how I can get this
Asked 6 months ago in Family Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
Religion: Hindu

1) apply to family court which passed order for dissolution of marriage for certified copy of divorce decree 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
72005 Answers
4330 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to file the divorce petition in court for getting divorce decree. If already done and decree issued by court then you can get it from court by making application

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
16664 Answers
30 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

You have the diverse degree copy that is a sufficient record for divorce in case you do not have the copy of divorce then you have to get copy from the family court by providing the detail and case  number

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6192 Answers
19 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

There is no divorce certificate as such you need to apply for decree of divorce order passed by court that itself acts as proof of divorce.....

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1800 Answers
4 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Do you know the petition no. And the date of order on which the decree was passed?



Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17401 Answers
280 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You will get it from the court passed the divorce decree. Get a certified copy by making an application to the court registrar.

Kallol Majumdar
Advocate, Kolkata
2067 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Going by contents of your post, it appears that, she had obtained Divorce from Court.

The order passed by the court itself is final, there will not be any separate certificate.

The Divorce Decree passed by Court is final and authentic document.  

You need to obtain certified copy of the order from Court by making a formal application and pay nominal fee.


S Srinivasa Prasad
Advocate, Hyderabad
1055 Answers
6 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

An application for certified copy divorce decree and order can be filed concerned court.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
22826 Answers
92 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to approach the concerned Court and apply for certified copy of her divorce decree.

Contact a local lawyer for helping you with this job. 

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
8752 Answers
152 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

If your sister got legal divorce through Court then you can get copy of the order of the such Court it is recognized as divorce certificate. There is no procedure to issue any divorce certificate by the Courts.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4958 Answers
153 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

If you want a certified copy of your divorce decree months or years after your divorce, you can usually get it in the court clerk's office. Some states have divorce decrees in the county clerk's office, so you will need to check with your state.

You can visit the court and pay the requisite fees and apply for the copy of a judgement and decree. You can also instruct your lawyer to get the copy of judgment and decree.

Certificate will not give you any court , that is judgment and decree it self is authentic document which is passed by the court. 
Separate certificate will not be issued. You can apply through advocate.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4587 Answers
22 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

You have to get court order copy from court. If you know the court name and case number, date. apply in the court.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
9026 Answers
74 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

When divorce granted by court? Get the certify  copy of order and divorce decree from court.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
16685 Answers
21 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

apply to the court from where she was granted divorce,

call for additional details

Suneel Moudgil
Advocate, Haryana
1477 Answers
2 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Go to the Court (Office) where your sister got the Divorce and meet the Superintendent and ask him how to apply for certified copy of the Judgement.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
13806 Answers
6 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

- You have not mentioned that , how your sister become divorcee.

- If, after filing a Divorce petition before the court , she declared as Divorcee , then you can get the Divorce Certificate from that Court after giving certain details. Just go to that court and request the family court staff for a better guidance to take details of case. 

- If, the Court has passed Decree for Divorce , then that order /Decree is enough for Divorce.

- Further, if she declared divorcee out of the Court, then you should file a Petition for getting Divorce Certificte from the court of law. 




Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
1610 Answers
26 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There is no such thing called divorce certificate, you can obtain the certified copy of the divorce decree from the concerned court of law by engaging the services of the advocate who conducted the case or a different advocate.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
61940 Answers
799 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


There is no such document like divorce certificate in India. 

You can get a certified copy of divorce decree from the court which granted divorce to your sister. This will be sufficient document to prove her divorce. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
6547 Answers
2 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer