• Problem with wife

I have seperated from my parents because of continuous arguments with my wife. Now I want her to do job so that she can also share expenses of our new house (because I wanted to shift to other area where rent is low but she wanted to stay in costly area). Earlier I used to live with my parents so I never had to pay so much expenses. Further I also want that I should take my child to my parents home on weekend but my wife argue with me and asked me to spend half of the time on weekend with her. 
Can I ask my wife to do job and support for expenses 
Can I go to my parents in weekend with my baby
Is it compulsory to devote half time to my wife
Asked 1 year ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

17 Answers

None of your questions pose a legal issue!

You have to sort out this issue with your wife.

Rajaganapathy Ganesan
Advocate, Chennai
1804 Answers
8 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Yes you can ask her to do job but court or law cannot help in this you cannot force her for the job.

See you can to your parents house and it is not necessary to devote her half weekend there is no written law on same you have to do this based on your mutual understanding.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25513 Answers
111 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Seems like your wife is bone of contention fro arguments, demanding and non cooperative.

Can I ask my wife to do job and support for expenses - Yes but cant force her, and if she dose not agree, understand she only want lavish life and no contribution to support life. Just wonna use you. 

Can I go to my parents in weekend with my baby -- Yes

Is it compulsory to devote half time to my wife -- no such law but mutual understanding.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21402 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Exhaustive consultation required. So come to my office.

Netra Mohanchandra Pant
Advocate, Navi Mumbai
1342 Answers
5 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1) you cannot force your wife to work and share expenses 


2) you can visit your parents on weekend with your child 


3) it is advisable to spend time with your wife on weekends 

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
79336 Answers
4745 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You may ask but there is no law or compulsion in this regard.

2. yes, you may go and there is no law by which you can be restrain for the same.

3. no, there is no compulsion that half of the time of husband should be devote to the wife.


Feel Free to call

Nadeem Qureshi
Advocate, New Delhi
5780 Answers
271 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

It's not compulsory but you need to balance the same between your wife and parents. You can take your children to parents house also

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
22433 Answers
49 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Dear Sir,


The Law is silent on the questions that you have asked and I would really suggest you to sit with your wife and come to a amicable solution like you can visit your parents along with your child on alternate weekends and like this. 

I would also like to suggest that it is the high time for you to sit and talk with your wife on problems arising in your matrimonial life otherwise such pity things would end up on big quarrels .


Wish you a happy marriage life


Thank you



Harshad Joshi
Advocate, Ahmedabad
10 Answers

Not rated

As per law, you cannot legally force your wife to work and share the household expenses. 

You can take your child to your parents house on weekends.


Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5612 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Hii greetings of the day.

1.See no one can stop you meeting with your parents or staying with them.

2. You cannot your wife to work if you Bab nis too small. Depends on family condition and kids age , your salary and her break from job and experience.

All the best.



Rita Rajput
Advocate, Thane
179 Answers
2 Consultations

Not rated


you can not do the same legally. 

yes, you can.

No, that is also not compulsory. 




Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17847 Answers
312 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. You are not yet facing a legal problem;

2. You must approach a marriage counsellor;

3. You can also approach a financial planner to discuss your issues;

4. Only if the disputes reach a stage where it cannot be settled between yourselves then you must take legal help.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

All these issues what you have raised as queries are not having any legal provisions, these are trivial issues which can be sorted out locally by talking to her. 

If she is not listening to your polite requests, you dont have to take her permission, you may proceed as per your desire and decision. 

She cannot object to your decision to go to your mother's house at the same time you cannot compel her to go for any employment.

Spending time with your wife is your decision, nobody can force you on it.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
69350 Answers
929 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Their is no law to bound your wife to work or stop you from taking your child to your parents house. It seems their is a lack of understanding between you & your wife. Try to maintain a cordial relationship & ask her to respect your feelings and d right of the grandchildren to meet their grand parents. Being a mother too she should understand your situation. As far as d financial concern hatch up a talk with her & make her understand your financial problems. May be she might have a better way out

Sital Patil
Advocate, Kota
131 Answers

Not rated

You can visit to your parents house along with your child for that no one can stop you doing that for any numbers of times in week days and week ends as well.


But for forcing wife to go for work that you can't do it without her wish.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
11668 Answers
109 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

you can request and ask your wife to do job but you cannot force. 

Yes you can go to your parents home daily and weekly. 

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
18938 Answers
11 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Dear client 

Yes you can ask her to do job but it is her choice as she want to do job or not because it's her right to live life as she wants and you cannot force her to work.

Yes you can take your baby to your parents house every weekend as it is your fundamental right to live your life as you want and also it is not compulsory to spend half of the time of weekend with your wife. 

Mohit Kapoor
Advocate, Rohtak
10685 Answers
7 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer