• Court Marriage in Delhi


I and my fiance are both Hindu. We want to go for a court Marriage on a specific date with our parents as the witness. How long is the process? What is the procedure? 

What are the challenges?
Asked 6 months ago in Family Law from Delhi, Delhi
Religion: Hindu


there are no challenges per se. You will have to online fill the form first and take appointment.


if you want it to be completed on the first date itself then apply for registration under tatkal otherwise apply normally.



Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
15470 Answers
226 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

NO issue.

One month notice period by marriage registrar, 3 passport size pics each, 3 witness.

Address / age proof.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
9759 Answers
8 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

Process will take one month plus.

Process will also include publication of a notice in the newspaper.

Three witneesses will be required in the process. 

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
8214 Answers
116 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

The Special Marriage Act, 1954 has laid down certain conditions that parties have to meet before mutually entering or signing the Civil Marriage Contract. These conditions are as follows

  • No party should have a subsisting valid marriage with any other person.

  • The age of the bride should be 18 years and the groom should be 21 years.

  • They should be of sound mind and able to give their valid consent for marriage.

  • They should not be unfit for marriage or procreation of children.

  • Both the parties should not, by any means, fall in the degrees of prohibited relationship as provided in Schedule I of the Act unless it is held valid in the customs or traditions of the religion of any of the two parties. 

The parties need to file a notice/application in writing in the prescribed format provided in Schedule II of the Special Marriage Act.

The notice has to be submitted to the Marriage Registrar of the district in which any one of the parties has resided for at least 30 days preceding from the date of serving the mentioned notice. 

After the notice has been filled, The Marriage Officer of the district to whom the notice has been served shall publish the notice.
The notice shall be published at a conspicuous place in the office and one copy in the office of the district where (if) the other party permanently resides. 

Any person can raise an objection to the marriage to the Marriage Officer of the district on the specified conditions as mentioned in Chapter II, Section 4 of the Act. If the Marriage Officer receives any objection within the 30 days from the date of publication of the notice, the marriage cannot be solemnized.

If no objection is received before the expiry of 30 days, the marriage will be solemnized at the Specified Marriage Office. The parties to the marriage must be present at the office along with 3 witnesses at the Office on the given date of Registration/Solemnization.

The Marriage Certificate is issued by the officer in the specified format which has to be signed by both the parties and 3 witnesses. It is the conclusive evidence of the Court Marriage.. 

documents required for Court Marriage

  • Application Form for Marriage in prescribed format along with specified fees

  • Passport size Photos of Bride and Bridegroom

  • Residential proof of the parties to the marriage

  • Proof of Date of Birth of both the parties

  • Address Proof and PAN Card of all the 3 witnesses

  • Death Certificate/Divorcee (optional)- in case either of the parties had former marriage history






In Case if any one raise an objection.

Either of the party to the marriage can file an appeal at the District Court within the local limits of the district under the jurisdiction of Marriage Officer within 30 days from the date of the refusal to solemnize the marriage.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
7050 Answers
3 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

An Application form duly signed by both husband and wife has to be filed first,  alonwith, Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate. After that, Verification of all the documents is carried out on the date of application and a day is fixed and communicated to the parties for registration. On the said day, both parties, alongwith a Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage, need to be present before the SDM. The Certificate is issued on the same day.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
3813 Answers
42 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir the process can take approx 2 months of time for compliting complete procedure under Special marriage act


You have to first give an intend to marriage notice of one month on which the registar shall verify the documents and give date after one month for marriage on that day you can remain present along with the witness and documents and marriage before registrar can be solemonised.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
15272 Answers
63 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can get registered marriage as per special marriage Act or Hindu Marriage Act. Marriage soleminsaiton is not necessary for special marriage Act but for the hindu marriage Act you need to first solemnise the marriage and then register the same. You need to give 1 months prior notice for special marriage Act.




Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
8252 Answers
11 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

1) 30 days notice of intended marriage has to be given 


2) At the end of the 30 days the Marriage Registrar is free to perform the marriage.


The notice of intended marriage can only be given in India, if at least one partner is permanently and the other partner temporarily resident in India.


After the stipulated waiting period of 30 days the marriage can take place in India. Under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 a certificate showing the signatures of the persons married, the registrar and the witnesses will be issued. This Certificate is required as proof of the marriage and when applying for a visa to for a foreign country.


The following documents are required for both the partners: a valid Passport original Birth Certificate showing parents' names if the person concerned is widowed, the original death certificate of the deceased spouse If divorced, copy of the final decree documentary evidence regarding stay in India of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO)

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
61254 Answers
3715 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. There are two awys in registering the marriage.

a. Registering the marriage before the Marriage Registrar by giving one month's notice  or


b. Getting the social/religious  marriage already conducted registered before the Magistrate  


2. Ordinarily, marriage is registered before the Marriage Registrar wherein wineesess fom both the sides are required to sign the Registrar.


3. If you want to register the marriage before the court as explained above, you shall have to contact an Advocate of the Court where you want your marriage to be registered.


Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
21746 Answers
562 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If both of you are married and getting registration of your marriage it it is possible to registered in a single day but if you have already applied and you have got the date for registration then you can go with the witnesses and get your marriage registered it is also possible in a day

For straightaway registration of the marriage you have to apply 30 days before and registration office will take 30 days to get the background check before registration of the marriage and if any objection to the marriage is received and if  it is valid will be considered before registration of marriage

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
4884 Answers
12 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Dear client

it takes 3-4 hrs and there are not much challanges involved ans is a simple process just engage any lawyer he would charge around 5k and get everything done for you.

Adv vikas

Vikas Khatri
Advocate, Delhi
179 Answers

Not rated

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer