• Municipal certificate of birth has incomplete names of my parents and myself. Needs correction

Born in 1970 my birth certificate issued by the Chennai Municipal Corporation only has my surname as my name and both my parents initials for their first names which I would like to change to include our full names.

Our Adhaar and Pan have our correct names. I currently live in Mumbai 

Whats the process to change the records and have a fresh certificate issued?
Asked 3 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Christian

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

7 Answers

Hi, you have to file a application along with affidavit at the district registrar office ..

Hemant Chaudhary
Advocate, Gurgaon
4619 Answers
67 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


File an application for correction in the birth certificate in the concerned municipal office.

Get in touch with some local advocate.

Also, it will be very difficult to get the same corrected now due to a delay of almost 50 years.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Your birth certificate would not be changed after lapse of 48 years

You would need court orders to reflect full name of your parents in BC

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87895 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir since the certificate.is issued long back the same would be not corrected at instance but then also you can try file an application for correction with the muncipal authroity.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to send the concerned authorities a notice to change the name in records if they refuse you need to file a suit for declaration in the jurisdiction court ie Chennai and once decree is passed from court you can submit it to concerned authorities and get your details changed

Swarnarka Chowdhury
Advocate, Mysore
1878 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

It can be changed by an appropriate application to the concerned municipal corporation addressed to the registrar of births and deaths. The application shall be accompanied by appropriate enclosures supporting your claim of change in details. Apart from this you need to do certain things such as an affidavit on 100 rupee stamp paper attested by class I magistrate, copies of change in details advertisement published in two local newspapers. It is advisable to contact a lawyer for the affidavit and the application.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19029 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0


You may apply to the registrar for the correction of names but it is suggested that there would be no much effect of the incomplete name on the birth certificate issued by municipality or hospital. Because there is custom that the child's name is not decided at the time of the birth of the child and the same is done later. Even, if the intended change/correction is not done, you may prepare an affidavit signed by first class magistrate.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer