• How to get sale deed based ONLY on postal address, need detailed steps

I dont know the year of registration or the index number of the property . I only know the postal address and the buyer's name.
The clerk in the sub registrar's office claims that the only way to search is searching through the sale record which is maintained date wise. I suspect he is saying that to make the search look complex and charge me a hefty fee.I have 
spoken to multiple lawyers and agents and they too can only talk of the same method.
However, my understanding is that there indexes maintained by name of person and also door number of property-this would make the search a lot easier. But the clerk claims there is no such index. I also know there is some search method based on survey number, but I don't know how to get survey number from postal address, etc.

Please DO NOT ask me to consult a local lawyer or agent -I have already done that.

If you know the steps to do the search please share. I may have to search myself or show sufficient mastery that the clerk will do it correctly-so it will have to be detailed enough for me to make sure the clerk wont deviate and claim it wont work.
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 30 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

8 Answers

If you know the year of transaction, name of parties , survey number of property it makes search work easy

2) if you don’t have the details then search clerk has to go through voluminous records of each year to find out whether any transactions have taken place in respect of the property from the name of purchaser and postal address

3) since 30 years title search is required it is hereculean task

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87917 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


At the time of registry a khata number and book number is allotted to a particular sale deed and on the basis of that only the document can be procured.

there is no way by which you can get hold of the document by name or the house number. You will have to manually go through the entire record to know the same.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir it may be little difficult by name and address but you can do it. most of the records are maintained online so you can search entire record of the area each and every survey number you will get it.

search here on this website http://landrecords.karnataka.gov.in/rtconline/ you will find the appropriate survey number then take certified record of said survey number and the sale deed number and date can be traced from there.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If you have name of the title owner it can be search by name or surname wise. If you provide complete details name and address of the property so we can help you.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Sorry sir no idea

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

A far simpler way to get the sale deed based on the information you have is to apply for a Encumbrance Certificate for the period during which you think the Sale Deed might have been registered at the office. Otherwise obtain it for the period from [deleted] to till date in Form-15 (E.C with transactions), once you have the Document No and C.D.No and date of execution, make an application in Form-22 and obtain a certified copy.

Kiran N. Murthy
Advocate, Bangalore
1298 Answers
194 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you need to seek the information through RTI application explaining the reason of non availability of the said details with you.you can also approach his senior if he still says no you can file a writ petition in high court an seek directions from court to get the said information

Prashant Nayak
Advocate, Mumbai
27247 Answers
88 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

Instead of grouping in the dark, you may better approach the city corporation office (BBMP), you locate the clerk who is looking after the area in which this address falls, you can ask him to give the details of the property,mi.e., survey number of the property situated in that address.

Once you get the survey number, you can obtain encumbrance certificate of that particular survey number.

After that from the EC you can locate the registered document numbers of all the transactions and then you can obtain the certified copy of the registered document.

You can manage to get the things done by your own efforts if you are able to penetrate in the corporation office.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78073 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer