• Transfer of Property and time limit for claimants

My servant maid who is very poor had to sell her property belonging to her husband who had expired at an early age. The property was sold in 1994 by a Legal Sale Deed. Now, after 20 years have elapsed, some people claiming to be the siblings of the deceased  have come forward to claim their birth rights. They demand money from the poor women putting her in a very difficult situation. Is there no time limit for claiming a property share according to Indian Law?? kindly help.
Asked 4 years ago in Property Law from Bangalore, Karnataka
when the property has been sold then whats the issue,what can one do when the property has been sold
Rajeev Bari
Advocate, New Delhi
1506 Answers
92 Consultations

4.6 on 5.0

the maid should refuse to pay them . what were they doing for 20 years ? let hem take legal proceedings if they so desire . it would take another 20 years for suit to be disposed of
Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
45751 Answers
2692 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If the property belonged to the deceased husband of your maid then she had every right to sell it. What reasoning have they placed on board for waking up from their slumber after 20 long years? Were they laying eggs all this while? The property was sold 20 years back. Now the only way to recover it is to file a case in the court, whereupon court will issue a notice to your maid asking her to defend the legal action brought against her. She has ample legal defences in her armour to counter it.
Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
22977 Answers
634 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

If they want share, let them file portion suit and claim the share. they don't have any business harassing her. If her deceased's siblings continue to harass her, advice/assist her to file police complaint.
Sandeep Hegde
Advocate, Bangalore
403 Answers
116 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Hi, she has sold the property if they have any right they have to file suit for partition let them file.
Pradeep Bharathipura
Advocate, Bangalore
4551 Answers
203 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from top-rated lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer