• Demand draft or cheque before sagai ceremony

If girl family or girls mama ask my father to make demand draft or cheque of RS 8 lakh before marriage and they will show this dd or cheque just to highlight that girl father has given car to me , then it will create problem for us in future legally ??? We have not demand dowry from them , they are demanding us to make dd or cheque from our account to make bride father side strong is this right ??
Asked 1 year ago in Family Law from Delhi, Delhi

I do not see any strength in making such arrangement.

What is the point of giving cheque/ DD if they will not encash the same?

This is absolutely incorrrect on their part to make such demands just to show that they are giving you something which they are actually not.

They can definitely try to use this against you in future, but since the amount would be paid from your father's account it would have no value in any Court. I would still totally advise you against it.

Siddharth Jain

Yes this they can used against you to show that they have given amount when they file dowry case. No you can deny to make such dd if no purpose.

1) don’t issue any cheque or demand draft

2) don’t accept any car from the girl or her family

3) if they present the cheque and it is bounced they can file case against you for dishonour of cheque u der section 138 NI

as per section 3 of the dowry prohibition act, 1961, giving of dowry or taking is also prohibited and is a punishable offence.

However you may be right, but it may cause problem in future. Better avoid it.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, NEW DELHI

I don't understand any point in that why the girls family needs a DD from you to buy a car you can buy it by yourself they want to do anything for their own Prestige they have to pay for that you need not to go but this kind of demand this may create problems in future

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra

Nothing of such is needed. you can directly pay to the car dealer. No need to give DD to girl's father.

Abhilasha Wanmali

Dear Concerned,

Under any circumstances do not do any such thing, In case you can not avoid such situation you should only transfer the amount directly to the Girls' account or her fathers' account.

Yes that is their intentions hence please do not transfer, IN such a case it would be much better not to go ahead with this marriage - as in the people who have such a mindset even before marriage - imagine what they can do post marriage.....

Best of Luck

No, This is not right absolutely, whatever they have they should make the expenses as per their financial capability.

Laksheyender Kumar

Why should your father give them a cheque or DD?

How will this be shown towards the dowry amount received by your father?

If they want to gift a car to their daughter, let them buy the car on her name, you do not accept the DD or cheque from them towards purchase of this car.

Do not leave any documentary evidence at this stage itself which may go against you at a later stage.

This is my response to you:

1. Cheque can be made;

2. You can ask to not encash the cheque if it is being done for show purposes;

3. Dowry is punishable offence;

4. One who gives or receives dowry amount both are criminally liable;

5. Consult a local lawyer, discuss the facts and then take action.

Gowaal Padavi

1) You don't make any Demand Draft or Master cheque in their favor and you don't accept any new car from them or any valuable things any except the stirdhan, what will be wear by girl at the time of marriage that is gold ornaments.