• How to make address proof after shifting to new house not registered in my name

We were staying in an apartment which we sold recently and shifted to a new apartment.
The new house is registered in the name of my mother and brother.They have got their address proof changed after submitting sale deed copies for the same.
Now I would like to know how I can change my address proof as some documentation is required but in my case I don't have anything.
I read about postal ID cards and enquired in my post office,where they said that it has been scrapped now.
How do I get my address proof now so that I can change it for my driving license,Adhaar etc?
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

13 Answers


On the basis of the ID of your mother you may get the address changes on your document, wherein your mother will give an affidavit that you live with her.

Also, you can get a LIC policy on your new address and on the basis of the same get the address changes.

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

it is better to execute a "Rental Agreement" in between you and your brother, so you can show that schedule house is his residential address for proof.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0


as you are residing with your mother, you should change your address and specify that this is your permanent address as you are living with your mother. also, an affidavit by your mother would be sufficient if any official raises a query as to the relationship or the ownership of the house.

after that, for aadhaar you have to go to the aadaar center to get it changed and for the DL it can be changed if you give them the changed aadhaar card.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13762 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Obtain letter from secretary of the society that you are staying in said flat along with your mother and brother

It would help you in obtaining documents required by you

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87976 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. You can apply for new Adhaar card from this new address.

2. You can apply for new Voters identity card also form this address.

3. You can even apply for change of address in passport also.

4. You can open a new bank account from this address.

So there are many options for this.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can change your address in Aadhar on submission of the document that is in your mother's name the documents for parental property can be accepted by the Aadhaar for change of address you can include an affidavit from your mother that you are resident with her.

As soon as you change your Aadhaar you can change your other addresses

Vimlesh Prasad Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
6848 Answers
23 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Change address based on the ID proof of the mother in case the supplementary document is asked an affidavit by mother can be given that you stay along her a settlement agreement for residence can be submitted.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You must have some official document, reflecting the name of your mother, maybe the ration card or something like that. Get your address updated on the strength of the new sale deed and any such official doc.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9427 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

On the basis of sale deed you obtain a telephone post paid connection at this residence on the basis of the bill you will be able to get your address correct in all your documents.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You also give the sale deed copy stating you are living with your mother and brother also give written NOC of your mother and brother if the authorities demand. After submitting this you will get the address proof documents.

Abhilasha Wanmali
Advocate, Nagpur
1022 Answers
1 Consultation

4.8 on 5.0


You may approach the concerned authorities of RTO and UID for change the address on aadhar card or driving license.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

If you are going to stay there permanently then you may enter into a rental agreement and on the basis of the same you can get your address changed to that address.

If not then you may have to wait for the address where you are likely to settle down after which you can apply for change of address.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78133 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Get rent agreement from your mother and brother and apply for address proof from the concerned like B B M P or Revenue

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar
Advocate, Bangalore
6050 Answers
381 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer