• Change of first name

My name in all the documents from 10th Certificate to Pan Card, Passport etc is Sunny Khatri but my name was supposed to be Sarthak Khatri. I want to change my First name to Sarthak and I am thinking to Keep my Middle name as Sunny and last name will remain the same. So full new name will be Sarthak Sunny Khatri. Since I will have Sunny in the new name it will be easier for identification. Please suggest procedure, documents to be submitted for change of name.
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

3 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

16 Answers

There are three mandatory things, which are needed to be done for authorizing the name change:

1. Affidavit Submission: An affidavit needs to be prepared for name change.

2. Ad Publication: An announcement should be published in the newspaper.

3. Gazette Notification: A notification should be published in the Gazette of India regarding the name change.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5930 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

you can by publication in official gazette and also publication in 2 local newspapers.change your name

also affidavit of name change is required

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87947 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


First of all prepare affidavit regarding this.

After preparation duly notarized it through notary public.

Submit it in your respective District Court before a first class Magistrate.

The Affidavit must mention the current name and the desired new

name, and may mention in brief the reason for name change.

After this magistrate look the affidavit and pass order for change of your name.

With this order you can change your name in all the documents.

Publish your new name in local news paper and gazette also.

Tarun Agarwal
Advocate, Jaipur
769 Answers
3 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Name can not be changed in High Scool and intermediate certificate, rest in furtherance to an affidavit and paper publication you may get the name changed in government documents.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You'll need to execute an affidavit of change of name from Sunny Khatri to Sarthak Sunny Khatri.

The above will be followed with a newspaper publication, followed with a gazette notice.

Once you comply with the above steps, you will have to move separately for updating your name on all your documents.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9426 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear client

Get your new nane published in a leading national daily under change of name col. and then make affidavits attested by class I officer and apply for change in your name in theconcernrd departments.

Adv vikas Khatri

Vikas Khatri
Advocate, Delhi
179 Answers

Not rated

Dear Sir,

You can follow the guidelines below:

I am a lawyer by profession, and have followed the below given procedure for changing my own name. Let me use my experience to help you to change your own name.

Follow the below given steps for changing your own name.

Step 1 – Affidavit

Go to you local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. You have to mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, you may like to change your name after marriage (especially for women), due to astrological or numerological reasons or anything. Recently, one of my friends was going to start his own company who was locally famous in his nickname, and thus he changed his name from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Agarwal.

Note: Here is your sample name change affidavit for reference.

Tips: Make a few copies of your affidavit, and preserve the original one carefully. It’s better to scan it, and preserve its electronic copy on your external hard disk as well as on multiple computers.

This affidavit can be used for changing your first or last name and also using the same, you can completely change your name (both first and last name, for example from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Verma).

Step 2 – Newspaper Publication

I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).

Full Signature

Fill in the blanks with appropriate details and publish it in your local newspaper.


You can choose any 2 local newspapers for publishing it. (No need for FrontPage coverage). Although you need only once copy but its better to get ten copies of that newspaper in which your statement is published and preserve it carefully, because it’s now a lifetime issue. It’s better to preserve both the hard and scanned copies of the newspaper.

Step 3 – Gazette Notification

Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, for example: “The Delhi Gazette”, you need to do the following things:

1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.

2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)

3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.


You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State).

1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name. (Click here to view sample letter)

2. The “Deed Changing Surname Form”

3. 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.

4. Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.

5. A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)

6. A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.


Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4952 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

For this you will have to give an advertisement in respect of the change in name in two reputed newspapers ( one local newspaper of the area in which you are residing and second in newspaper of the area of permanent address) .

You simply have to download for 'E' from the link of Annexures in respect of Indian passports. Print it out on a non judicial stamp paper of the value as existing in your state of residence. Fill in the blanks .

Get the same attested from a notary or class I gazetted officer and attend your scheduled appointment.

As the name is sought to be changed you will have to give an advertisement in respect of the change in name in two newspapers ( one local newspaper of the area where you are residing and 2nd in newspaper of the area of permanent address) Attach copies of the said news paper with the above form and your problem will be solved.

Give ad today to any reporter of your choice and it will be published.

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

1. Get an affidavit executed before the 1st Class judicial Magistrate affirming the said change of name from Sunny Khatri to Sarthak Sunny Khatri requiring the concerned authorities to record the said change and issue fresh document/certificate and passport.

2,. Thereafter publish the gist of the said affidavit in local official gazette and in two local newspapers, one being in vernacular.

3. Send application to all concerned authorities including the passport authority enclosing the copy of the said affidavit for issuing fresh certificates/documents and passport recording the changed name.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26603 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Make a gazatte declaration of the change of name as you want.

Get the same published in a local news paper.

Make an affidavit stating the changes to submit wherever the documents needed to be submitted to change of the name like pan, adhaar and passport etc.

All of this can be done by hiring an agency who does the name change or taking the help of a lawyer from your area

Thresiamma G. Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
1631 Answers
212 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


Please get published in newspaper as well do the legal formalities for the change.

Anand Shukla
Advocate, New Delhi
666 Answers
14 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

One needs to Follow all the proper rules and procedure to get your gazette notification done for Name change legally, There are 3 Mandate steps needs to be complied for getting it done.

Step 1 : Make Affidavit

The first step is to make an Affidavit for change of your name in local Notary. Kindly Make a Simple format mentioning the Old Name & New Name , Basic Details ,therein mention your specific reason for changing your name. Get it notarized by the Advocate Notary.

Step 2 : Publication of Change of Name Advertisement in Newspapers.

After the Step 1 , the other important step is Publishing the Advertisement of your Change of Name.

But the advertisement has to be published in two languages. One in a major circulated English daily and another in any Vernacular daily of your choice. Contact the Newspaper Advertisement agency or office Along with the Affidavit copy for verification. In case of online Request , Fax or Email the Scan copy of Affidavit .

The text for the change of Name Advertisement is very simple and common.

Step 3 : Applying for Gazette Notification of Name Change:

Obtain the Change of name form from the state government press which is free of cost;

kindly submit the form after duly filled with Old name & New Name, Address etc. along with required documents

Pay the requisite fee.

After the publication collect the government gazette copy and preserve it .For any further reference submit the true copies of the relevant Pages of the Gazette.

Once you change your name its mandatory to announce it publicly and update in all the existing documents. In order to change the names we needs to obtain the gazette notification for the name change announcing it publicly. Gazette is a public journal & an authorized legal document Published by the government, and it hold good validity legally to your name change as it’s published by the Government. In case of updating your New Name / or changing your name in the any of the documents like Pancard / Aadhar Card / Voter ID / Passport / School Records / Insurance Policies / Property Papers / Birth Certificate / Employment Records etc issued by any Governmental / Semi Governmental / Public Sector / Bank / Educational Institutes etc one needs to submit Gazette notification for Name Change.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0

Make an affidavit and get it notarized and publish a notice in leading newspaper.

Junaid Ali Khan
Advocate, New Delhi
173 Answers
1 Consultation

4.7 on 5.0


You are suggested to go for the name change procedure by affidavit and newspaper advertisement and then you may go for name change in documents.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Competent Court is authorized to do so after decreeing your suit for which you have to give evidence and witnesses before the court and after the procedure completes the court will pass a decree that your name was............and now you will be known as..............

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can follow the procedures for change of name.

Prepare a duly notarized affidavit to this effect, issue a public notice with fifteen days for objection to this name change from anyone through a leading newspaper, after that if necessary you may get it published in the government Gazette for more authentication.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78104 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer