• Mobile phone stolen

Hi. I buyed mobile phone on my credit card still 6 emi are pending my cousin brother taken my mobile and not returning me. What to do. Mobile is registered on my name
Asked 4 years ago in Civil Law

2 answers received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

18 Answers

If you wish, you may file criminal case against him.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Give him a final warning to return your phone. This warning must be in writing.

In case he fails to abide by your warning, move a police complaint aganst your cousin.

Vibhanshu Srivastava
Advocate, New Delhi
9427 Answers
245 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

This is my response to you:

1. This is internal family dispute so tackle it with caution;

2. So firstly send him a legal notice and tell him if he does not return there will be legal consequences;

3. If he does not respond then file a complaint against him under NC to the police station and if you think you need to put more pressure then file an FIR for theft;

4. Consult a local lawyer and take steps accordingly.

Gowaal Padavi
Advocate, Mumbai
1920 Answers
5 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


1) You have to approach the Police and get an FIR registered about your phone getting stolen. This will help you in getting the insurence coverage against theft/damage. As you have purchased it using the credit card, you ought to have that protection.

2) Filing of the FIR will also help you deal with your liability to pay the credit card outstanding and protection against additional liabilities.

3) In your complaint to the police you can inform the police that you suspect your cousin to be the offender.

S J Mathew
Advocate, Mumbai
3387 Answers
175 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

if you have bill and box then you should approach to police station and lodge complaint .

Mohammed Mujeeb
Advocate, Hyderabad
19031 Answers
32 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Complain to police of extortion and threat.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

1) If you can see mobile phone physically with your eyes and plus all registered copy of phone IEMI number etc and mobile receipt is on your name, than you can make complaint in police station against him.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12338 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


if he has the mobile then file a police complaint against him for forcibly keeping your mobile as anything he does with the mobile or if he calls anyone or does any illegal activity with that mobile, you will be caught.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13762 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1) file police complaint against your cousin brother for refusing to return your mobile phone

2) you can issue legal notice to your cousin to return your mobile phone

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87976 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

take up the issue with his parents

request them to intervene for return of your mobile phone by your cousin

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87976 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Lodge a complaint with police as if the mobile phone is used for illegal activity then you would los be implicated in the case.

2. YOu can stop making the payment of EMI . However ot may ruin your CIBIL record.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Sir,

You should report it to your local police station as soon as you can by calling 101 or going in person.

Your network provider will give you your phone's identification number (IMEI), which you should pass on to the police.

Make a note of the crime reference number - you’ll need it if you want to claim on insurance.

Netravathi Kalaskar
Advocate, Bengaluru
4952 Answers
27 Consultations

4.8 on 5.0

You may file a case of theft against him and before that you may send him a legal notice for returning the property

Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Intimate the police that you are not using thay phone anymore.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can take legal steps to retrieve the same from him.

First issue a legal notice demanding him to return the same and then you can lodge a criminal complaint if he's not complying with demands made, before police.

T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78133 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

File an FIR of theft against the person who so ever it may be because danger of misuse is there.

Koshal Kumar Vatsa
Advocate, Gurgaon
2283 Answers
3 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


File an FIR under section 379 of the IPC.


Swarupananda Neogi
Advocate, Kolkata
2941 Answers
6 Consultations

4.7 on 5.0

- If, your cousin brother will misuse the phone for calling illegally , then you will have to face consequences for the same , even he is using his personal mobile number.

- Hence, it is important to report the matter to the police .

- further , you should inform the bank for EMI purposes accordingly with the police complaint receipt.

- Better to resolve the matter amicably with your cousin

Dont forget to positive rating

Mohammed Shahzad
Advocate, Delhi
9920 Answers
121 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer