• Procedure to register marriage - NRI groom


I'm an NRI groom working in Dubai and will be getting married on the 17th on December in Delhi. In order to get the paperwork done in time and ensure that there is limited hassle after the wedding, we were planning to get the court marriage / marriage registration done in Delhi next month (October during navratras). Apart from my residential status, the other complication is that the bride to be does not have a residence proof document in Delhi (the city she has been living in for the last one year). Ideally we both would like to do the process in Delhi, we both do not have a valid Delhi residence proof.

Both of us are aged 27 / Hindu. Kindly guide how to proceed?
Asked 4 years ago in Family Law
Religion: Hindu

First answer received in 10 minutes.

Lawyers are available now to answer your questions.

12 Answers


Without having a residence proof of delhi the only way to get a Marriage registered in Delhi is to get married in Delhi and on the basis of the place of Marriage you may get the marriage registered in Delhi.

Since you will be getting in December it will only be possible to register the Marriage after getting married in Delhi.


Anilesh Tewari
Advocate, New Delhi
17940 Answers
377 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Sir for registration and solemnisation of marriage under the bride since staying in delhi can get a rent agreement and electricity bills of her present address as the address proof for registration of marriage under the special marriage act, the rent agreement should be atleat a month old. So based on that along with other documents An application form or a Memorandum of marriage duly signed by the husband and wife.

A documentary evidence for proof of date of birth of both the parties. This age, under both the Hindu Marriage Act and the Special Marriage Act, is 21 years for male and 18 years for the female. This document may be in the form of matriculation certificate/passport/birth certificate.

The residence proof of the husband and wife (Ration Card, Aadhar Card, Election Voter Id, PAN Card, or bills like Electricity Bill etc.)

Two passport size photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph.

Affidavit that both the partners are not having leaving partner and not married.

Further if you are getting married as per the hindu law i would advise you that based on your ceremonial marriage registration shall be much easier then the court marriage i.e under special marriage act. Further based on your marriage in delhi you can register it in delhi.

Shubham Jhajharia
Advocate, Ahmedabad
25516 Answers
179 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You need to have valid residence proof ofDelhi

2) your fiancée can enter into registered leave and licence agreement which would indicate that she is residing in Delhi

3) she can obtain bank account with address wherein she is residing to show that she is resident of Delhi

Ajay Sethi
Advocate, Mumbai
87932 Answers
6207 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. The application for registration of marriage can be filed to the marriage registrar within whose jurisdiction the marriage took place or the parties reside. Under Hindu Marriage Act a marriage can be registered before the marriage registrar within whose jurisdiction it took place irrespective of whether the spouses have their residence within his jurisdiction or not.

2. You require the wedding invitation card and photographs of marriage apart from executing an affidavit. Usually the marriage certificate in Delhi is issued within 2 days from registration.

Ashish Davessar
Advocate, Jaipur
30761 Answers
971 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

You can get married in Delhi after your marriage has been solemnized in Delhi itself as no proof of Residence would be required in that case under the provisions for Hindu Marriage Act.

If you want to get married in October itself, the proof of residence can be managed by your advocate and you would get the certificate of marriage within 2 to 3 days.

Siddharth Jain
Advocate, New Delhi
5928 Answers
101 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. While applying for marriage registration under Special Marriage , local address proof of one spouse is enough. However do note that registration under the SMA requires not less than one month of time.

2. If you want faster marriage and registration as well then if you are a Hindu then perform the marriage under Hindu Rites and customs and within next couple of days get the marriage certified under Hindu Marriage Act.

Devajyoti Barman
Advocate, Kolkata
22515 Answers
402 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

Dear Client,

Her residence will prove by rent agreement. And for the purpose of court marriage at least one of the parties to the marriage has resided for a period of not less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which such notice is given.

Yogendra Singh Rajawat
Advocate, Jaipur
21481 Answers
31 Consultations

4.4 on 5.0

for this purpose you will be governed under THE FOREIGN MARRIAGE ACT,1969;

Conditions relating to solemnization of foreign marriages.-A

marriage between parties one of whom at least is a citizen of India may be solemnized under this Act by or before a Marriage Officer in a foreign country, if, at the time of the marriage, the following conditions are fulfilled, namely:--

(a) neither party has a spouse living,

(b) neither party is an idiot or a lunatic,

(c) the bridegroom has completed the age of twenty-one years and the bride the age of eighteen years at the time of the marriage, and

(d) the parties are not within the degrees of prohibited relationship:

Provided that where the personal law or a custom governing at least one of the parties permits of a marriage between them, such marriage may be solemnized, notwithstanding that they are within the degrees of prohibited relationship.


Notice of intended marriage.

5.Notice of intended marriage.-When a marriage is intended to be solemnized under this Act, the parties to the marriage shall give notice thereof in writing in the form specified in the First Schedule to the Marriage Officer of the district in which at least one of the parties to the marriage has resided for a period of not less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which such notice is given, and the notice shall state that the party has so resided.

If no objection is made within the period specified in section 8 to an intended marriage, then, on the expiry of that period, the marriage may be solemnized.

you can register your marriage anywhere in INDIA. ... Yes u can provided either you have or your wife has voter id/ adhaar card/ passport of Bangalore address, otherwise you can also apply for marriage registration through the rent agreement , firstly you have to make the residential certificate .

For further details you may take the help of a local advocate.


T Kalaiselvan
Advocate, Vellore
78089 Answers
1543 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

1. Where do you two reside at in India?

2. If she is living in Delhi for the last 1 year then she must be having some evidence to prove that she resides in Delhi like Bank statement, Rent Agreement, Electricity/Telephone Bill, appointment or any letter from Govt. authorities addressing her at her Delhi address etc.

3. With her said address proof, she should file an application before the Registrar of Marriage having jurisdiction of the area where she is residing at Delhi giving one months notice period.

4. In the similar fashion your address proof also shall have to be produced and your address need not be at Delhi but any other place in India. If any one of you can produce address proof of his/her Delhi address then he/she can marry her/him staying in any other place of India.

5. Some proof of address is required for recording your address while registering your marriage.

Krishna Kishore Ganguly
Advocate, Kolkata
26602 Answers
726 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0


you should register the marriage in Delhi. the regisrataion can be done in a single day. even if you both do not have a local address, the registration can be done.


Rahul Mishra
Advocate, Lucknow
13757 Answers
65 Consultations

5.0 on 5.0

There are three ways to get it done depending upon the time the couple and witnesses have.

1) If you want to get it done in one day then it can be done from NCR through Arya Samaj Marriage and then registration of the same provided boy and girl should be Hindus,Buddhist ,Sikhs or Jain. And don't worry if you are Muslim or Christian even then it is done after willfully conversion to Hinduism. The whole process takes about 3 hours and the marriage certificate is issued on the same day. Almost all advocates provide this service.

2) Second the same can be done from Delhi but it takes about 3–4 days and you have to visit twice . Once for arya samaj and after 2–3 days for registration. The cost is almost double from Delhi. Very few advocates provide this service

3) Third is under special marriage act. It takes about 40–45 days .Its a marriage without ceremony. On first appearance application is made for marriage and then notice of 30 days is issued. And if no objection is filed in 30 days, marriage certificate is issued. Again very few advocates provide this service.

Ganesh Kadam
Advocate, Pune
12335 Answers
191 Consultations

4.9 on 5.0


You can get the marriage registered by having a rent agreement and giving the suitable affidavit of stay.

Ganesh Singh
Advocate, New Delhi
6646 Answers
16 Consultations

4.5 on 5.0

Ask a Lawyer

Get legal answers from lawyers in 1 hour. It's quick, easy, and anonymous!
  Ask a lawyer